Coolant Dissapearing Fast!

Old 07-03-04, 07:11 PM
Tuffshizit24
Visiting Guest
Angry Coolant Dissapearing Fast!

Hello all,
I just bought a 1988 pontiac Firebird formual 305 TPI 5.0 liter and am expieriencing problems with antifreeze coolant dissiapating too fast. I bought the car knowing some things needed repair... so far i have had the engine fan fixed.. (it was rigged by previous owner) i have had an engine tune up and engine oil and tranny oil change. Recently i have noticed that even after i fill the radiator overflow tank up to the fill line after a few times of drivign the coolant decreases a pretty good amount.. the radiator looks good besides small cooling pin damage in the front.. other than that radiator seems good.. no leaks that i can see. Why is the coolant dissipearing so fast? is this dangerous and what could be the cause??
Thanx all!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-04, 05:34 AM
The first thing you have to do it pressure test the cooling system and determine if there are any external leaks. If this car has a history of a fan problem, chances are good that it was overheated badly and may have a head gasket issue. If you don't come up with any external leaks, remove the spark plugs while pressure is applied to the cooling system and watch for coolant in the cylinders or crankcase.

Old 07-04-04, 07:12 AM
Group Moderator
Could be a bad radiator cap also; something cheap to replace.

Old 07-04-04, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
Could be a bad radiator cap also; something cheap to replace.
If the system passes the pressure test and has no leakdown, that same tester has an adapter and can also test the cap.

Old 07-04-04, 11:32 PM
Tuffshizit24
Visiting Guest
Thanx for replying.. having a pressure test tommrow!