Overheating, Can see aluminum fins

Old 07-03-04, 10:35 PM
Corleone
Visiting Guest
Overheating, Can see aluminum fins

Hello, i've been a lurker for a while but decided to chime in and ask a question for the experienced guys. I got a 1993 Isuzu Rodeo V6 24 valves 74k miles, I started to notice that my car was overheating but I couldn't see a leak anywhere , I even put some white paper on the floor and left the car for about 1 hour idling and then overnight to see if some coolant would leak but nothing came on.

I decided to flush the whole coolant, clean it out but I couldn't find the block drain plugs so I left those out.

After the flushing everything went fine then I noticed it started to overheat so I said ok let's fill with some Distilled water and check it in 1 day, bingo next day I drive ,get the car home and when the car cooled down... I could see aluminum fins again, my Reservoir was full and thats the weirdest thing, what can I do guys?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-04, 07:24 AM
I do not know if the engine is the same as on the 99 we had, but look for a block drain at the rear of the drivers side of the block. It is roughly 2 inches in diameter. It is hard to see and get to due to the 4WD. There is no drain that I could find on the passenger side. Later models have no block drains.

The dealer said there was no block drain and when I showed them the drain plug all they had to offer was a dumb look.

If I understand your post you are saying the coolant level goes down in the radiator but the coolant reservoir stays full. If so you may have a bad radiator cap or you have a leak somewhere that will not allow the coolant in the reservoir to be drawn to he radiator when the engine cools down.

Overheating could be caused by low coolant or by bad headgasket etc. Get under the car & look for signs of a leak such as stains on the bottom of the water pump, hoses, freeze pluge etc. Also look for stains where coolant can leak onto the exhaust and be boiled off so it never hits the ground.

If you can't find anything you will need to do or have a pressure test on the cooling system.

Old 07-04-04, 08:59 AM
Corleone
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by car nut
I do not know if the engine is the same as on the 99 we had, but look for a block drain at the rear of the drivers side of the block. It is roughly 2 inches in diameter. It is hard to see and get to due to the 4WD. There is no drain that I could find on the passenger side. Later models have no block drains.

The dealer said there was no block drain and when I showed them the drain plug all they had to offer was a dumb look.

If I understand your post you are saying the coolant level goes down in the radiator but the coolant reservoir stays full. If so you may have a bad radiator cap or you have a leak somewhere that will not allow the coolant in the reservoir to be drawn to he radiator when the engine cools down.

Overheating could be caused by low coolant or by bad headgasket etc. Get under the car & look for signs of a leak such as stains on the bottom of the water pump, hoses, freeze pluge etc. Also look for stains where coolant can leak onto the exhaust and be boiled off so it never hits the ground.

If you can't find anything you will need to do or have a pressure test on the cooling system.
Yes, you are correct. What im saying is my radiator coolant is going down after 1-2 days , then I can see the aluminum fins and I gotta refill it with distilled water again. I changed the radiator cap to no avail, and the reservoir system no matter how empty the radiator looks it never passes water. I suspect a leak but couldn't find it.

I'm going to go and get a pressure test and then flush the radiator or ask for a flush if they can find the block drain plugs. With all the distilled water the 50% mix of coolant and water must be very messed up.