Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1989 ford econoline temperature guage

OH

07-04-04, 03:41 AM   #1  
1989 ford econoline temperature guage

ii have 1989 ford econoline van,302 engine with 95,ooo miles. my temp. guage just quit working all other guages work on the dash.ive been told its probably the sending unit,just dont know where thats located or could there be other items. the van doesnt run hot or has not overheated. thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

07-04-04, 07:17 AM   #2  
It'll be screwed in to either the engine block or the intake manifold. The part showing will probably be about the size of a nickel and protrude about 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch. Will probably have a single wire running to it and either be a spade connector (pull off) or could have a small nut and washer holding a connector on. When you locate it, disconnect the wire to it and ground the wire, either directly or using a small jumper wire. The temp gauge should go all the way to the top. If you ground the wire and the temp gauge does nothing you have a problem either in the wiring or the gauge.

07-04-04, 07:33 AM   #3  
If you can't find it, go to the auto store and ask them to show you one so you will know what it looks like.

OH

07-04-04, 08:22 AM   #4  
thanks,but do i need to start the van or just turn the key to the on position?. when i find it just take out and replace if the guage is working..

07-04-04, 06:57 PM   #5  
Posted By: mudcat24 thanks,but do i need to start the van or just turn the key to the on position?. when i find it just take out and replace if the guage is working..
Just turn to on to test. No need to start the engine. You will need to drain the coolant down to just below the level of the sending unit if you want to change it without having coolant run out when you take it out.

Search this Thread