Advantages of sythetic oils

Old 06-25-04, 08:11 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Advantages of sythetic oils

I watched Hotrod T.V & Trucks last week where they boasted about the H.P & fuel effeciency gains when they used Royal Purple engine & tranny oils.Are these claims true & are they worth the price? I have the same question about the washable/ reusable air filters that have been on the market for awhile. Does it matter how many miles are on the vehicle if you decide to use synthetic oil? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-26-04, 05:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
There are SOME small advantages for the average consumer, but NOT in my opinion sufficient to justify the extra $$$. Stick with oem-style filters; same reason.

We use Sam's Club 10w-30 in our wreckers @

Old 06-26-04, 05:40 AM
D
I agree with tow guy and yes there have been debates on this subject that got carried away.It won't happen again,just so everyone knows before it starts it will be stopped if it occurs.

Old 06-26-04, 04:08 PM
What Davo refers to is the discussion on oil change intervals, so I won't touch that. The only thing I'd like to add is that almost all of the benefits from synthetic oil come in the latter part of the engines life so if you plan on driving that car until it can't be driven any more, the synthetic oil will help it go farther. If your going to get rid of it at 100K, you'll never see the benefits. There are some small gas mileage benefits but the oil costs may exceed that.

Old 06-26-04, 05:32 PM
whokares2
Visiting Guest
What we have seen in the larger engines is that the oil is too good! Even in many new engines the oil will get by the rings and you will have some oil consumption. As everyone else has stated, with the prohibited price you cannot recoup it in gas mileage.

Old 06-27-04, 03:46 AM
Originally Posted by whokares2
What we have seen in the larger engines is that the oil is too good! Even in many new engines the oil will get by the rings and you will have some oil consumption.
The viscosity is the same so consumption wouldn't be any different. It does have better lubrication properties and will hold it's viscosity even at higher temps though.

Old 06-27-04, 05:55 PM
whokares2
Visiting Guest
Desi, it has nothing to do with the viscosity, it has to do with the synthetic properties, is binds to the cylinder walls better, thus the oil ends up higher in the combustion chamber.

Old 06-27-04, 07:55 PM
Thanks for all the info.I hope I didn't open up a can of worms, it almost got heated there for a moment.

Old 06-28-04, 08:31 PM
C
I think you will find that the washable filters claim to flow more air but the down side maybe they let more dirt pass through the filter as a result, which will increase engine wear. Plus you can buy several regular filters for the price of the washable type.

Yes the dino oil vs synthetic debate has stired the pot here. For what it is worth many high performance engines require it to keep the warranty valid. Some of these are Viper, Corvette, and Porsche. If you drive a high performance vehicle the extra protection is probably well worth the price of synthetic.

In a normal car synthetic has been proven to give better protection making the engine last longer. Some will argue this and some people get high mileage fron their engines using dino oil.

There is a documented case of a Honda going 1,000,000 miles on synthetic oil with no repairs other than normal maintenance. I have never heard anyone claim near that mileage on dino oil.

The choice is yours.

Old 07-04-04, 06:18 PM
ROFLMAO!!!!!!! My 20' ext ladder would look pretty funny on a Porsche.And my wifes Rav-4 doesn't exactly have the flat turning of a Viper.Thanks for the info, think I'l stick with standard filters & oil.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: