1993 Aerostar gas tank

Old 07-04-04, 02:43 PM
ridelikehell
Visiting Guest
1993 Aerostar gas tank

My brother in law has a 93 Aerostar with a leaking gas tank, and he's asked me if I would replace with a new one for him...I've done quite a bit of work on cars but I've never done this before and I was just wondering if someone might be able to tell me if it's a hard thing to do or not?...The reason I was asked to do this is because he's very tight for money so if I could do this for him it would be a great help to save him some coin...

Thanks a lot!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-04, 06:26 PM
Fairly easy job when it's empty. Usually means removing two bolts for the straps that hold the tank in place and dropping the tank out. Most likely two hoses and one or two wires. Careful you don't break any wires or hoses in the process. I usually use a floor jack with a piece of wood on it so I don't damage the tank.

Take your time and you should be OK. If you've got a digital or Polaroid camera, take some pix so you remember where everything goes.

Matt

Old 07-04-04, 06:37 PM
ridelikehell
Visiting Guest
excellent thanks that sounds pretty straight forward...whats the best way to empty the tank if it isn't entirely empty?

Old 07-04-04, 08:53 PM
Most auto parts stores sell a reasonably priced pump/siphon system. I don't recommend sucking it out through a hose.

Matt

Old 07-05-04, 05:16 AM
Group Moderator
Might want to check on possible recalls on that depending on the location/source of the leak. Not sure if it's related, but my sister had a leaky tank on her '95 Windstar a couple of years ago and it was stilll covered.

Old 07-05-04, 06:57 AM
ridelikehell
Visiting Guest
tow_guy,
Never thought of that I'll check it out!

Thanks all!

Search this Thread