A real A/C Stumper

Old 07-04-04, 07:23 PM
miwin1000
Visiting Guest
Exclamation A Real A/c Stumper Please Help

First off, let me state that I live in Arizona, and my A/C is a critical component! My A/C blows hot air, Compressor is working fine, Refrigerant is full. It started blowing warmer and warmer over a period of time. I emptied the old refrigerant, and refilled with new to 32F. Before refilling, the A/C unit was blowing slightly cool air, after, it is hot. Can someone please help me figure out what is wrong? '98 Chev S10 4 Cyl.
Thanks in Advance!
Mimi

Last edited by miwin1000; 07-04-04 at 07:30 PM. Reason: make more noticeable
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-04, 03:49 AM
Originally Posted by miwin1000
I emptied the old refrigerant, and refilled with new to 32F. Before refilling, the A/C unit was blowing slightly cool air, after, it is hot:
I have no isea what your talking about there. Refrigerant capacity is measured by weight in ounces. Diagnosing this problem wouldn't be that difficult in person but is very hard over the Internet. First you need gauges and pressure readings. Then you need to feel the temp of the 2 lines coming from the evaporator. Even then, you could have a heater or blend door problem disguising the cold air.

Old 07-05-04, 05:11 AM
Group Moderator
When you "emptied" the old refrigerant did you evacuate the system before refilling? I'm with Desi; ac work is only properly done with the right test equipment.

Old 07-05-04, 09:52 PM
miwin1000
Visiting Guest
A/C stumper

No, I did not evac the system. I used the gauge that comes with the refrigerant and refilled to the same point it was before I let the refrigerant out-32F. (the area on the gauge that is blue and reads "Full".) I do not have the money to take the truck in to the shop, and am trying to fix this myself. I do have a son that knows how to do mechanics work, but he does not have all the tools a shop would. So please bear with me, work with me as best you can and if able, to help me.
Thanks for your replys, and for your patience.
Mimi

Old 07-06-04, 03:59 AM
I understand your position but reality is, this is not something that can be diagnosed by remote control without some very specific information and observations. Most A/C repair shops will charge less than $50 for a diagnosis and leak test. Actual repairs can run well into the hundreds for most common A/C problems, even when you do the work yourself.

Old 07-06-04, 01:02 PM
miwin1000
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice

Well, Thanks for trying.
Mimi