Water from A/C draining on to floor

Old 07-05-04, 05:49 AM
Jeep1
Visiting Guest
Question Water from A/C draining on to floor

I have a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee. My A/C is no longer draining to the outside. My passenger side is filling up with water. I know that there is a drain, but I can't find it. I've looked everywhere I know to look. Could you help, maybe with a diagram of its location?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-04, 08:41 AM
It's usually on the passenger side firewall area. Look for a black (most often) rubber or plastic hose hanging down. Carefully use a coat hanger (or similar) to unclog it.

If you can't find it on the outside, you may need to try pulling the carpet back and see if you can spot it from the inside of the vehicle.

Good Luck,

Matt

Old 07-10-04, 04:38 PM
Johnc280
Visiting Guest
You wont find it.

I remember looking for that drain tube on a Jeep several times. I finally found out that Jeep has there condensation drain into the frame rail under the car and there is no way to get to it to clean it out. You do have another option which has been succesful for me on several occassions.

If you look inside the car at the bottom of the air box you can tell where the drain tube is. Drill a small hole in it and use compressed air preferably to blow the trash out from the back. A coat hanger may work as well. Then when you are done plug the hole with black silicone.

Hope this helps,

Johnny
Tech and Owner

Old 07-10-04, 05:24 PM
Johnny is correct about the drain location. It drains into the frame rail on the right side near where it meets the firewall. I have fixed a few by cutting a small access hole in the frame rail to insert a coathanger or something into the drain to clean it out. Damaging the inside is rather risky. You could have trouble getting it sealed back up.

Old 07-11-04, 12:51 AM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
what johnc280 is referring to is actually spelled out in a bulletin from chrysler.

drill a 1/4" hole in the center of the round part(from inside the vehicle), clear it with a coathanger, and then install a plastic plug.
and for doing this, i get reimbursed a whopping 12 minutes (.2 hours labor)

Old 08-19-06, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by mike from nj
what johnc280 is referring to is actually spelled out in a bulletin from chrysler.

drill a 1/4" hole in the center of the round part(from inside the vehicle), clear it with a coathanger, and then install a plastic plug.
and for doing this, i get reimbursed a whopping 12 minutes (.2 hours labor)
You are correct..I did that (1/4" hole) and then you can stick a thin wire down , or blow out with air hose tip and clean out the drain tube. Chrysler didn't tell the whole truth..there is no screening on the firewall to fender wells, and leaves, and debre falls inside the air intake to the a/c vents. I installed some hardware cloth and shaped to to fit. It helps keep most of the trash out. I plugged the 1/4 hole with a plastic tip from a fishing worm (one I never had luck with) first, then found a better plug later.