Crankshaft bolt

Old 07-05-04, 01:02 PM
trainer
Visiting Guest
Smile Crankshaft bolt

I have a 92 Acura Legend and I am having trouble removing the crankshaft bolt to replace my waterpump. I have turned both directions but am not having any luck. Which direction is the right way for removal?
I have changed my t-stat, had my radiator flushed, changed temp. sensor, and radiator cap. My fans are not activating but I straight wire to let one run continously while I test for problems. Car runs hot if I drive 1 mile or more but I can let it idle for over an hour and it doesnt run hot? HELP?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-04, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by trainer
Car runs hot if I drive 1 mile or more but I can let it idle for over an hour and it doesnt run hot? HELP?
Those symptoms are just the opposite of a fan problem. That more points to a restricted radiator problem. You generally won't even need a fan while your moving.
As far as the crankshaft bolt, you turn counterclockwise to remove it. It can be very tight and usually require an impact gun to remove it. Another trick we use sometimes is to put a socket and long breaker bar with the end of the bat touching the ground, and pointing to the passenger side, then bump the key to "start" momentarily. That will break it loose.

Old 07-05-04, 03:31 PM
trainer
Visiting Guest
Thank you But.......

I actually did take the radiator to shop and it had a 25% blockage which was cleared after sitting in a tank for couple of days. I reinstalled it still have problem.
As far as the loosing of the bolt tried bracing against ground but it lifted the car and kept turning thats why I was curious about the direction of the bolt.
Could it be waterpump or what is your thoughts.

Old 07-05-04, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by trainer
As far as the loosing of the bolt tried bracing against ground but it lifted the car and kept turning thats why I was curious about the direction of the bolt.
Could it be waterpump or what is your thoughts.
You need to position the bar so it lifts and strike the frame of the car. If it's hitting the ground, you have it pointing the wrong direction.
As for your overheating problem, I'm still leaning heavily toward a bad radiator but something like a blown headgasket getting combustion into the coolant could also act like that. A blockage of some kind could also do that. Have you removed the thermostat and make sure it didn't come apart and get lodged in the jacket. A new on wouldn't hurt. I say it has to be some kind of circulation problem. The only way the water pump could be to blame is if Has a broken shaft or all the fins are rotted off. That's a pretty remote possibility. You'd have to run it without a T-stat, with the upper hose off to determine how good it's pumping. Are you sure it really is overheating and not just a faulty gauge?

Old 07-05-04, 08:01 PM
WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could not get the bolt loose on the harmonic balancer on my sons 93 Honda Prelude even with an impact. I was going to use the breakover bar against the frame and bump the starter trick. But when I checked the rotation of the engine it would have tightened it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and may have broken the bolt.

My guess is your Acura engine rotates the same direction. Double check this before you try it. Desi is right the bolt is right hand thread.

I was able to get it loose using a large pair of channel lock pliers on the outer edge of the outer most v-belt pulley and a socket & 1/2" break over bar.

Old 07-06-04, 03:50 AM
Originally Posted by car nut
WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could not get the bolt loose on the harmonic balancer on my sons 93 Honda Prelude even with an impact. I was going to use the breakover bar against the frame and bump the starter trick. But when I checked the rotation of the engine it would have tightened it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and may have broken the bolt.

My guess is your Acura engine rotates the same direction. Double check this before you try it. Desi is right the bolt is right hand thread.
That's surprising but worth double checking. If your facing the pully, in order for this to work the engine has to crank in a clockwise direction.

Old 07-06-04, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by Desi501
That's surprising but worth double checking. If your facing the pully, in order for this to work the engine has to crank in a clockwise direction.
The Prelude engine rotates counter clock wise.

Trainer, which way does your Acura rotate?

Old 07-07-04, 12:53 PM
Timing belt?

When I changed the timing belt on my acura, I was advised to change the water pump as well, since it's right there and would save headaches down the road.

Does the reverse apply? Since you're going in after the water pump, does it make sense to change the timing belt at the same time?

Old 07-08-04, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by CycleZen
When I changed the timing belt on my acura, I was advised to change the water pump as well, since it's right there and would save headaches down the road.

Does the reverse apply? Since you're going in after the water pump, does it make sense to change the timing belt at the same time?
Yes it does apply. For only the price of a belt while you have the old belt off it certainly makes sence to change he belt.

Old 07-09-04, 05:49 PM
Johnc280
Visiting Guest
All Honda crank bolts are rediculously tight.

Welcome to the world of Honda/Acura.

Honda and Acura have by far the tightest crank bolts I have ever encountered. Usually even the typical 1/2" drive impact will not remove them. At my shop I have the privelege of using a 1" impact which loosens it with no problem, but using any impact is not the proper method as it does threaten to damage the crankshaft.

The proper method:

If you look at the crank pulley you will notice that around the bolt the pully is shaped like a hex only inverted so that it goes in instead of out. There is a special tool that fits in that hex that will hold that pulley and allow you to put a socket on the bolt. I have only tried it this way one time and I still had to use a three foot cheater bar to get the bolt off. Two weeks later I found a used 1" impact since I do many timing belts on Honda's

Hope this helps.