AC compressor knocking

Old 07-03-04, 05:37 PM
98Mirage
Visiting Guest
AC compressor knocking

I have a 98 Mitsubishi Mirage, the other day the AC started making a loud knocking sound. Took it today and the guy said the compressor was "shredding" itself? due to the fact that only one of my fans was working. He said it looked like the wires to one fan were knocked outta place in an accident. (accident was 4 yrs ago). He reconnected them. But the AC has always run hard, but never made that noise. He said that because only one fan had been working, the compressor has been overworking and needs to be replaced. He said I can still use it til it goes, but theres no way to stop that noise. So, first question, will I damage anything else by still using it? And, can those small metallic pieces the compressor is shredding blow into the car? Also, he never mentioned the AC clutch, could it just be that? Wishful thinking? I havent been able to find anything online about compressor "shredding"? Thanks

Old 07-04-04, 07:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I'm sure he just means that the compressor is coming apart inside; shredding is not a technical term that I know of. I would argue against the fan problem having anything to do with a failing/failed copmpressor; that would be a new one to me. Anything failing in the compressor cannot get inside the car except possibly inside the lines in the evaporator. I would have it replaced before it fails completely at a time & place that you won't like.

Old 07-05-04, 12:37 AM
98Mirage
Visiting Guest
compressor knocking

Tow guy- so you think it does sound like the compressor is going then right? And this guy charged me $92 to reconnect my fan wire, and tell me this is 'probably' the problem w/the compressor. Sounds a little high to me, but what do I know. Also, if I do put it on, when I accelerate, the noise goes with the acceleration?? Gets louder when I hit the gas, and wind the gears, quieter when I actually switch gears, or slow down. Is this a normal affect on a compressor? I only used it once today, for the first time since this happened, and got nervous when I heard that and shut it off. I'm going to have it replaced, I live in Vegas...enough said there. But I just wanna make sure I don't get taken for a whole compressor when it might just be the clutch. Thanks!

Old 07-05-04, 04:42 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Some cars have switches that limit compressor operation if the high side pressure climbs too high while others don't.If your car doesn't have the switch(or it malfunctions) a fan not operating wiil cause compressor damage.A cooling system that doesn't operate properly will raise high side pressure as well.A restriction in the high side will raise pressure.You will need to replace the reciever drier and flush the system when the compressor is replaced.The proper amount of oil and refrigerant also need added after the system is evacuated.

Old 07-05-04, 05:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Right, what he said. I've been to Vegas in the summer, so I knjow what you're dealing with.

Call me crazy, but I wouldn't go back to a shop that charged me $92 for what you described - assuming you're relating the story accurately and he didn't spend an hour troubleshooting it.

Old 07-05-04, 12:51 PM
98Mirage
Visiting Guest
compressor

What about how I said, that it sounds like the compressor is winding with the engine gears? Is that normal? And it feels like its draining on the power from the car, cuz when I go to take off, I have much less power than before?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: