Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Toyota Power Window Problem

Visiting Guest

07-06-04, 07:41 AM   #1  
tmart68
Toyota Power Window Problem

My power window won't go up or down, and there's this crackling and popping sound when I've tried to do anything about it. Obviously the motor is toast; however, I would like any info on what cost is involved and whether I should stick with the dealer (way too high on labor) or if an independent foreign auto repair would be a better choice. (I'm a single woman, so I think repair shops see $$$ when they see me coming. Just want to be armed for battle!) Car is 93 Camry. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

OH

07-06-04, 10:59 AM   #2  
Toyotaman will have the answer. I have seen some cars which use a thick plastic tape with teeth on one side to run the power windows. The noise you describe sounds like some teeth have broken off. If this is the case, a new tape is not too difficult to install and a fraction of the cost of a new motor and tape assembly. It may be best to have a shop do it because you could get your hand trapped if the window drops and / get it out of alignment, but an informed shopper beats one who has no idea of the problem.

Search this Thread