Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Mercury Sable 1988;Air Cond.

AZ

07-06-04, 10:00 AM   #1  
Mercury Sable 1988;Air Cond.

I've gaot a 88 mercury sable w/a 3.0 engine. Need to have air cond gassed up.Need to know which kind of freon is in it. The engine kept getting very hot.Then the air would start blowing hot. After I could get the engine cooled down,the air would get cold again.Then the last time this happened,I replaced the thermostat and it fixed the engine over heating.But the air cond.doesn't get cold.Help!!Cecil35

Sponsored Links

07-06-04, 12:01 PM   #2  
You can't just throw more freon in there. It's supposed to be charged with a precise amount. As for what type, it came with R12 but it could have been retrofitted since. The fittings should have been changed also if that were the case, but who knows what some people do these days. One thing you may want to check is to make sure the electric fan is coming on. That could cause problems with the A/C and overheating.

AZ

07-06-04, 07:52 PM   #3  
RE:Mercury Sable Air Conditioning Info,

Hi Desi,thanks for the info.Got it checked out and working.It had been changed to R134.I had a couple of leaks in the connectors.Working again.Cecil35.

Search this Thread