Rewiring power windows

Old 07-06-04, 10:05 AM
lee.wallace
Visiting Guest
Rewiring power windows

I wanted to re-wire my power windows so I could operate them with the ignition key off. I cut into the window hot wire in the door arm rest and ran the new wire back through the door and under the dash. I ran a wire from other the hood, connected to the AUX post beside the under hood fuse boxes. I put in an in-line fuse holder and used a 10 amp fuse (the old style glass ones) The wire I used was 16 ga. After I hooked it up and tried it, everything was fine, but the next day when I tried to use it while the car was running I blew the fuse. I replaced it several times with the same results. I also tried connecting the line to the hot wire of the cigarette lighter, but had the same results. Should I have used a stonger fuse, heaver wire or could there be something wrong with the way I wired it?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-04, 10:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My '88 Buick manual calls for a 30 amp circuit breaker. You could trace the wiring back to your O.E.M. fuse / circuit breaker and change the wiring from ignition switch control to always on. If you make this modification, I hope you don't have small children who may get caught in it. The car was manufactured this way for a good reason.

Old 07-06-04, 12:07 PM
Why on earth would you want to do a foolish thing like that? You'd have to find the original power supply source and reroute that source to another 30A circuit. Not something I'd recommend doing though.

Old 07-06-04, 10:20 PM
preskitaz
Visiting Guest
My advice to you would be to get a pulse timer enabling the new power window source stays on for a given amount of time after the key is turned off. similar to features found on newer vehicles. or get a remote power window kit for an aftermarket keyless entry. Be warned a pulse timer module can be very complicated to install & I suggest you have a professional install it. It can be obtained from most car alarm shops that do more High end installs. I personally would not wire it on all the time it can be a safety issue.