Reading codes

Old 07-06-04, 03:49 PM
Reading codes

93 Buick Century, 3.3, 6 cylinder, while driving last week the check engine light came on twice for a few seconds each time.

I have found the asdl terminal that Davo said to find and the engine lights came up 2 shorts and 1 long. Is there an interpertation for this. Thanks as always.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-04, 04:00 PM
There is no such thing as a long light, just long pauses to separate the numbers. example XXX XXXXX XXX XXXXX would be 35
XXX XXXXX XX XXXXXX
would be 35 and 26

Old 07-06-04, 05:11 PM
the first code it will flash is code 12 one flash pause 2 flashes it will flash code 12 3 times and then will go to any codes stored in the computer flashing each code 3 times then will start all over again flashing code 12.
are you sure that you didnt confuse code 12 with 21.
as best as I can remember code 21 is throttle position sensor circuit.

Old 07-06-04, 11:40 PM
I did this as I remembered it told to me however I went into on of my manuals this evening and read about this some and I missed a step. Will retry tomorrow. thanks

Old 07-07-04, 03:58 PM
Redid the flashing test and what I got was three short flashes and nine short flashes. I'm not sure if that's to be interpreted as code 39 of what. If so my book says torque converted clutch circut.
I remember when I got the car there was a electronic censor attatched to the tranmission which I believe was either fixed or left off.

Old 07-07-04, 05:42 PM
Code 39 means it didn't see an RPM change when the TCC was engaged. The TCC's on those are notorious for causing stalling when the stick. Most people just unplug them to cure the stalling. You just won't have any overdrive. Someone may have done that in the past to yours. It shouldn't be causing any other problems if that's the only code in there. I didn't think it turned on a "check engine" light either.

Old 07-08-04, 04:31 AM
Desi, thanks, a couple of things. First it has a three speed trans and it felt like the rpm's dropped for a second. The lights came on for a second two times when driving, since then I've done about 1000 miles and have not noticed that again. I am 99% sure a plug to the trans was disconnected. In the final analysis should I just disregard it?

Old 07-08-04, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by easywind
Desi, thanks, a couple of things. First it has a three speed trans and it felt like the rpm's dropped for a second. The lights came on for a second two times when driving, since then I've done about 1000 miles and have not noticed that again. I am 99% sure a plug to the trans was disconnected. In the final analysis should I just disregard it?
Correct, just leave it alone. You just won't have overdrive. No biggy.....

It would act like a 4th gear if it was working.