Alternator Removal

Old 07-06-04, 05:33 PM
doingitmyself
Visiting Guest
Alternator Removal

1989 Honda Accord Lxi
2.0 FI

I need to remove the alternator from my 89 Accord. I figured this would be a an easy process, but I can't figure out how to actually remove the alternator from the engine compartment, there is no space or opening large enough to get this alternator out, it won't come out through the top, and it won't drop out through the bottom. Someone said something about removing the underframe? Dealer said there should be a bubble type bracket or something, but I found no such item. I even removed the alternator mounting bracket. The alternator it just too large to move it up or under. How can I get this alternator out?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-04, 06:12 PM
Did you try removing the air filter box from the engine and bringing the alternator out through the top between the firewall and intake manifold?

Old 07-06-04, 06:56 PM
At the very least you'll have to remove the L side cv shaft. I'm thinking on an '89 that will get you the required clearance.

Old 07-06-04, 08:17 PM
doingitmyself
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by smogtek
Did you try removing the air filter box from the engine and bringing the alternator out through the top between the firewall and intake manifold?
I did not try this suggestion: it didn't occur to me, and I'm not sure that could do the trick since the air filter box sits behind the engine against the firewall.

What about pmgheritage's advice? I'm hoping this isn't required.

Does anyone have or can anyone find me a site with a picture of this Honda model engine compartment? Maybe with removal procedures? I don't have access to alldata since I'm not in the business, but if someone does, and could send me some info, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Terry

Old 07-06-04, 09:22 PM
The last Honda alternator I installed was part of an engine overhaul and I had the CV axle removed.

The only books I have here at home are Chilton and Haynes. Chilton doesn't mention removing the axle, but Haynes says "to gain access to the alternator, it may be necessary to disconnect the left driveshaft from the steering knuckle". Doh!

Before you do that, try removing the air filter box (2-10mm nuts) and see if you can "squeeze" it out through the top.

Matt

Old 07-06-04, 10:34 PM
doingitmyself
Visiting Guest
OK, I will try the air filter box method, smogtek. I think it might work, and will post back with the results tomorrow night.

Thanks for looking that up in HAYNES for me. I have a copy of that book, but not where I can get to it.

One more thing, I'm not a mechanic, (I'm a pure dumb beginner) and don't know all the terms in auto repair. So,

1. What is the CV axel, where's it located, and is it different from the "left driveshaft from the steering knuckle"?

2. What's the steering knuckle, where's it located, and will there be any fluid or air concerns with removing this, if that becomes necessary?

Thanks

Old 07-07-04, 05:47 AM
Speaking from experience, removing the air filter box won't do it. The only way you're getting that alternator out is from underneath with the L side cv shaft (driveshaft) removed. The cv shaft runs from the transmission to the steering knuckle, has a rubber boot at each end.

Old 07-07-04, 01:17 PM
doingitmyself
Visiting Guest
out with the old and in with the new

Well, on this particular '89 Honda Accord Lxi, removal of the air filter housing done the trick. Two bolts out, separate the housing (by pulling a bit) from the air ducts and wahlah!! Plenty of room to simply lift the old out and put in the new.

smogtek, thanks for the help.

pmgheritage, thanks for your efforts. Every book and repair manual I found, including the shop manual, said the same thing you did. I don't know how quickly your method is, but the air filter box method was a 20 minute job, from removal to reinstall - and very easy.

Hope this helps others

Thanks,
Terry

Old 07-07-04, 04:34 PM
Glad to hear it worked. After thinking about it, I honestly have to admit that I'd never tried it that way on an FI system. Of course, I always had a lift too. Once it's in the air, easier just to leave it there. Timewise, they're probably pretty close.

Old 07-07-04, 05:02 PM
Thanks and glad it worked!

After turning wrenches on heavy jets and cars for 35 years, ya' learn a "few" tricks.

The biggest trick is: "It's sometimes easier to remove a few extra parts to gain access, than to beat your knuckles to death trying to force it out".

Matt