Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

87 Corolla, Poor acceleration

MD

07-07-04, 07:43 AM   #1  
87 Corolla, Poor acceleration

Recently I had the cylinder head machined because of warpage due to failure of cooling system (symptom was heavy water vapor out the tail pipe at start up). Put it back together with relative certainty that all the emission control hoses accurately connected. Timing is correct. No more water vapor, cooling system operates correctly. Compression checked out OK (178psi per cylinder). Acceleration is very poor. Fuel pump, fuel filter, air filter are brand new. The sight glass on the side of the carburator indicates proper fuel level at idle and when throttling engine. With the air cleaner removed and the engine off, I can see the gasoline squirt in one of the barrels (2 barrel carb) when pushing the throttle. It squirts in slightly below the hinge point of the butterfly valve from the outside sidewall of the carb. There is no visible squirt into the other barrel, should there be? Engine runs smoothly, just seems gas starved. Can get to 60mph but takes a long time and there is not enough power to go up modest hills.

Sponsored Links

07-07-04, 09:51 AM   #2  
Check the converter for restriction. The head gasket leaking for any length of time likely plugged it up.

07-07-04, 06:39 PM   #3  
Is the timing belt on correctly? how about ignition timing?

MD

07-07-04, 06:55 PM   #4  
I am very confiident that the timing belt was put back on correctly. The cam pulley was centered over its mark while the crank pulley was at zero degrees TDC. I set the timing at 5 degrees BTDC.

If the converter is blocked how would I check that. Would it make sense to run the engine with the exhaust line disconnected from its manifold connection. Perhaps with a short straight section to the bottom of the engine compartment.

Also, I should have added that the carburator is relatively new. It only had about 15K miles on it and worked well until the cooling system failed.

07-08-04, 12:15 AM   #5  
Did the engine run fine before you did repair except for the vapor?

Was timing set with vacuum hoses off and plugged?

There are a bizillon hoses on that........are you sure they are correct.

And yes you could drop the exhaust.

MD

07-08-04, 03:52 AM   #6  
The engine was running welll when I took the head off for inspection and machining. It was hard to start because of the coolant leakage into the cylinder but would run well once started.

I color coded the multitude of hoses with colored electricians tape to ensure correct reconnection. So far the ones I have traced with the Toyota shop manual have matched up.

I shall recheck the ignition timing as I am not certain enough that I plugged the vacuum lines.

07-08-04, 05:07 AM   #7  
Based on what your saying it ran fine before once you got it started, something is not right due to the work performed.

Search this Thread