Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

First Car

Visiting Guest

07-08-04, 05:58 AM   #1  
WannaBAMechanic
First Car

Hello everyone. This is my first time here! (Yay, glad I found it!) Um, I have a question. For anyone who wouldn't mind answering it.

I am getting a new car... But as of right now it doesn't exactly run. (I know, then why are you getting it?) Well my friends Step Mother is selling it and I told her that I wanted it. Now this is where my question comes in.

All that is wrong with the car is she says the Fuel Pump needs to bled. Now my mother talked to my aunt who says that can't be done. But my brother-in-law says that he can do it. I would really like to find a way to do it myself.
(Hence why I'm at Do-It-Yourself) I want to know if anyone here knows how to do it and can explain it to me... Or if anyone knows weather or not it really can or can not be done. Or if someone can give me a website where they give you step by step instructions.

I should explain, I'm 17 years old. I want to be a mechanic but I still have 1 year of High School left. This is my first car. I just want it to run so that I can bring it home and drive it!!! If anyone can help me thank you soooo much.
Kathy

Sponsored Links

07-08-04, 02:06 PM   #2  
Fuel pumps do not need to be bled unless it's a diesel engine.Please let us know what kind of car,engine trans etc.Diagnostics can vary from car to car.

Visiting Guest

07-09-04, 06:15 AM   #3  
WannaBAMechanic
Hmmm

Well, as far as I know it's not diesel. And I'm not sure what kind of engine it is or anything. As I mentioned. This will be my first car. If I can find out what is really wrong with it!

I think the car is a Volkswagon Rabbit. I couldn't exactly tell you the year. But it's small and it's 4 door. I hope this helps.

Thanks

Group Moderator

FL

07-10-04, 07:08 AM   #4  
Could be a diesel; VW did make some diesel Rabbits and as Davo notes that might explain the bleeding required. Before you do ANYTHING with I would highly recommend you make sure you know the basics of the vehicle. At a minimum:

Make
Model
Engine type (gas/diesel)
Transmission type (manual/automatic)

The gas/diesel question is EXTREMELY important since it dictates what you pump into the gas tank and pumping gas into a car with a diesel engine is a very BAD thing.

Post back with as much info as you can find on the vehicle. Might also start looking around for a basic repair manual (Chilton or Haynes).

Visiting Guest

07-13-04, 07:41 AM   #5  
WannaBAMechanic
Thank you

That really helps. I had no idea what to look for. I should be able to look at the title to the car and that should tell me some of that right? I really do want to be a mechanic... This should be a start huh? Well I will look into all of that. Thank you for helping me out. I seriously wouldn't have known to look for all that and I would have put gas in it regardless. So thank you again very much!

Kathy

Visiting Guest

07-13-04, 07:47 AM   #6  
WannaBAMechanic
By the way...

Where abouts in Sarasota? I also live in SW Florida. I live in Lee County. Cape Coral to be exact. That's cool that you live in SW Florida... It's not every day there's someone from my neck of the woods!!!

Kat

Group Moderator

FL

07-13-04, 07:42 PM   #7  
North Port.

To see what the vehicle has for an engine, simply raise the hood and see if there isn't something in big bold letters telling you what it is. Not sure I would recommend a car with a diesel as a first car, but of course if it's basically free it would be hard to pass up provided it doesn't need a lot of work. Parts for diesel engines can be very pricey. I can put you onto a good VW guy, but his shop is in Charlotte Harbor; probably 25 miles from you.

Visiting Guest

07-15-04, 06:50 AM   #8  
WannaBAMechanic
thanks

Yea that would be a little far for me. I'm going to look at the car today. So I'll look and take notes. And I'll come back and I'll post what I find out and maybe y'all can help me from there! But thanks for helpin' me out so far!

Kathy

Visiting Guest

07-18-04, 10:42 AM   #9  
WannaBAMechanic
I found some stuff out

I found out that the Rabbit is diesel. The fuel pump needs to be bled because my friend decided to run the tank on almost empty. So she was pickin' up all of the dirt and stuff from inside the fule tank instead of the fuel. So it needs to be flushed out so that the fule will go thru it right. The car can still be turned on it does work. The fuel pump just needs to be bled is all. And my brother-in-law know's how to go about doing that. So thank you for having me check out wether or not it was a diesel engine. Now I can get it running and have a car!! All that was wrong with it was the fact that it needed to be bled! So thanks again! I really do appreciate it!!

Kathy

Group Moderator

FL

07-18-04, 12:47 PM   #10  
Normally the problem with running a diesel out of gas is not so much the gunk in the bottom of the tank as it is simply getting air in ths system. Bleeding the system is to get all the air out; same principle as bleeding your brakes. Would be a good time to replace the fuel filter (not sure what type it will have).

Search this Thread