Over heating

Old 07-08-04, 08:25 AM
dirtyharry
Visiting Guest
Question Over heating

My 1987 chevy cavalier overheats then stalls out.Its 4cyl,with a/c,4door.
I replaced the thermoastat,and the waterpump,plus the sensor,and the cooling fan works fine.So what could be causing this ?And what should i do next ?
dirtyharry

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-04, 05:14 PM
take it to a shop to have checked for a head or head gasket problem a shop will check for exhuast gases getting in the cooling system.
other possibilities would be the radiater could be restricted.
you didnt state engine size but the 2.2 and 2.0 are known for head gasket problems.

Old 07-09-04, 07:10 PM
Johnc280
Visiting Guest
Even if the head gasket was okay before, if you overheated the engine to the point that it stalled then it is probably blown now.

I agree with bejay...take it to a professional.

Old 07-10-04, 07:02 AM
dirtyharry
Visiting Guest
Question Thank you

well with that solved.I have another mystery,my blower doesent work.Ive replaced relays and fuses,still no juice going to blower.Yesterday I ran to jumper wires to the blower one to hot and one to ground. It ran fine,so that tells me the blower,the switch, and resistor are fine.So where is the problem,that i have no power going to the blower ??? Where does the purple wire go if your tracing it to the right of the blower motor. I Cant read the stupid wiring diagram,could you explain the path from point to point.
Possibly show me a simple map to trace it.And its a 2.0 engine
Dirty harry

Old 07-10-04, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by dirtyharry
well with that solved.I have another mystery,my blower doesent work.Ive replaced relays and fuses,still no juice going to blower.Yesterday I ran to jumper wires to the blower one to hot and one to ground. It ran fine,so that tells me the blower,the switch, and resistor are fine.So where is the problem,that i have no power going to the blower ??? Where does the purple wire go if your tracing it to the right of the blower motor. I Cant read the stupid wiring diagram,could you explain the path from point to point.
Possibly show me a simple map to trace it.And its a 2.0 engine
Dirty harry
First, all the jumper wire procedure tells you is that the blower works with power and ground applied. You bypassed all the other components, so it tells you nothing about them. Try a power only jumper to determine if you have a good ground. You could also use a test light if you have one. The purple wire is power in from the relay, it should only be hot on the first three blower speeds. Hi-speed blower should be orange in to the relay and black out to the blower. You also have a fusible link feeding the relay (red wire) that should be hot at all times I think. Bottom line, if the blower works when jumped, the problem is either a bad ground or a supply problem back up the line. The wiring diagram I'm looking at in Mitchell is about as simple as they come - just study it and you'll get it.

Old 07-10-04, 11:53 PM
dirtyharry
Visiting Guest
Smile powerless

I will go to the library to study the wiring diagram.And I will check the wires you mention tomarrow,all along i have suspect the power supply wires.
I did jump the (ground) only to blower nothing happened,blower still did not operate.
But im not sure if that ment ground was bad .Seeing how the purple wire has no power i was wondering where to go from there.Now i know where to continue. Thank you, I will keep you posted as to my progress.
Dirty Harry

Old 07-11-04, 07:38 AM
To check the ground, you'll need to jump power only to it. If it comes on with power supplied to the purple wire, the ground is good. My personal thought is that with no operation even on high speed, known good fuse and fusible link, it will likely be a switch, relay, or bad ground.

Old 07-12-04, 07:22 AM
dirtyharry
Visiting Guest
Question over heating

I jumped ground only blower did not come on ,then I jumped only purple wire it came on.Then i tested all red wires (Hot) to relays,and fusible links they all were receiving current.What does this mean ?That theres a open somewhere along the purple wire? I'm going to library to make copies of wiring diagrams today.
I also replaced radiator ,i tried salvage yard they wanted 45 for used with 30 day warrrenty, found new heavy duty with lifetime warrenty for 97.00.It still overheats.I'll be replacing head gasket somtimetime today.

Old 07-12-04, 02:33 PM
First, are you sure this car is actually overheating. Is it boiling over or are you going by the gauge? The fans aren't programmed to come on until about 228 deg. Some mistake that for overheating. You say the fan works, does it ever cycle off?

Old 07-12-04, 08:54 PM
dirtyharry
Visiting Guest
Question over heating ?

Well the problem is the cooling fan, and blower both stopped.
all I can say is after driving about 13 miles, it starts to die when I come to a stop or slow down from a maintained speed.
The cooling fan is coming on now after replacing the sensor .Its not overheating and the indicator light for overheating is not coming on
However the raditor was toast.But I still have no power to blower motor,as stated in my last post I did as you said with the hot wires they all have juice. Just no power to the purple wire.
Its not overheating.....
Dirty harry

Last edited by dirtyharry; 07-14-04 at 04:42 PM. Reason: need to add info

Search this Thread