Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

78 Jeep Cherokee won't start

Visiting Guest

07-08-04, 04:06 PM   #1  
akblly
78 Jeep Cherokee won't start

Im tryin to start and move this 78 Jeep cherokee w/360, turbo400.
Its been sitting for about 5yrs and hasn't been turned over since then.
If I remember right the very last time it ran, the starter motor would stay on after the motor had been started and was running, of course I would turn it off immedietly. Could just running it for those couple secs a couple times be enough to ruin it?

I had replaced the ignition switch and was sure that I followed the instr/diagrams, I could be wrong though.

Ok, my problem now is that it barely turns over at all now. It might turn over 1 rotation before it stops, I then wait couple secs and try again and the same deal. It almost feels like theres way too much compression to turn it over, or theres not enough power in the battery. I've tried a few different newer fully charged batteries and still nothing. I've rotated the crank by hand to sorta loosen things up and it does rotate(not seized).

So my question is, could this be a starter problem? Or could something in the engine internally cause this very slow 1 rotation(max) crank over?
I have no clue, need help plz

Sponsored Links

07-08-04, 05:03 PM   #2  
Posted By: akblly So my question is, could this be a starter problem? Or could something in the engine internally cause this very slow 1 rotation(max) crank over?
I have no clue, need help plz
It could be both but the starter is the more likely, especially since it had problems before. The right way to determine that would be an amperage draw test if you have the equipment.

Visiting Guest

07-08-04, 05:53 PM   #3  
akblly
Posted By: Desi501 It could be both but the starter is the more likely

Could I do any tests on the starter itself to see if its workable?

Also, what are some things in the engine internally that could slow or stop it from cranking over more than a full turn?

Search this Thread