1996 Ford Ranger odometer

Old 07-09-04, 11:05 AM
Question 1996 Ford Ranger odometer

recently the odometer started working intermittently. i've read up on it in the haynes manual that i've got but the pictures aren't looking like they should. I'm curious if i should start on the sensor side or in the dash side. It's not a 4x4 and is a 4 cylinder. the book shows the shaft connecting at the end of the engine and tranny, but it's actually connected at mid engine, a little behind the oil drain plug. I think the one farther back is the speed sensor for the speedometer and the one farther forward is for the odometer. not sure just looking for a little guidance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-04, 06:56 PM
the speedometer and odometer run off of the same gear or sensor. If the speedo is working normally, you most likely have a problem in the speedometer head. Is there a cable connected to the back of trans or just a plug?

Old 07-10-04, 10:20 AM
on the back of the trans there's only an electric plug, the cable is connected farther forward on the trans/engine. not sure which.

Old 07-10-04, 07:53 PM
The plug at the back of the trans is for the Vehicle Speed Sensor and means you have an electronic speedo. If the speedo is working normally, then you will likely have to replace the speedo head or entire instrument cluster. This is not a terrible job and will probably take a couple of hours. You may even be able to get a replacement unit at the local junkyard, just be sure to document the mileage on both units to track true mileage on the truck if you sell it.
If the speedo is eratic or inop, you could just have a bad speed sensor.

Old 07-11-04, 10:19 AM
even is the odometer is intermittent, it could be a bad speed sensor?

Old 07-15-04, 05:00 PM
sorry for not responding quicker. I pulled wiring diagrams and troubleshooting chart from Mitchell. It say if speedometer works but not odometer, replace speedometer. not a very long chart.

Old 07-17-04, 07:55 AM
Thank you for the reply, but one last question. The only way to do so is to tear into the instrument panel?

Old 07-17-04, 05:15 PM
yes, you must remove the instrument cluster from the dash and replace the speedo in the cluster. if that is something you are not comfortable with doing, a shop should not charge more than a couple of hours for the repair.