1979 toyota pickup just stopped while driving....

Old 07-10-04, 06:52 PM
mattnotoyota
Visiting Guest
1979 toyota pickup just stopped while driving....

i have this toyota pickup R 20 4 speed, and while driving, it just shut off. i pushed it downhill, tried to pop the clutch twice, and both times it started, not very strong, but pressing on the gas or putting it in gear wold shut it off again. i bought a coil, installed it, and still no luck. where do i go from here?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-04, 12:42 PM
Group Moderator
I'm guessing at that age it's carbureted vice fuel injected. Pretty basic trouble shooting - gotta have spark and fuel. Check the little sight window on the side of the carburetor; you should see the fuel level about halfway up. Next take the top off the air cleaner and pump the gas a couple of times; you should see good strong streams being pumped from the accellerator pump jets. For spark check, remove the coil wire at the distributor end and hold it near the head (or other ground source) while someone cranks it over. Should see strong spark.

Only two times I ever had starting problems on my older Toyotas; first time was a bad ignition condenser causing a visible but very weak spark, second was a clogged fuel filter. Either of these could be your problem.