78 F150 oil pressure

Old 07-11-04, 03:00 PM
peter88
Visiting Guest
78 F150 oil pressure

Have 1978 F150 302cu with 98k miles. When at an idle, the oil light come on until you start moving and the rpms pick up. Oil level is good. Currently have put in engine oil additive to clean out the engine and will change the oil tomorrow. Was leaning toward the oil pump being worn out. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-04, 03:14 PM
Check the oil pressure with a guage.If it's low replace the pump and bearings at the same time.

Old 07-11-04, 03:17 PM
peter88
Visiting Guest
Thanks a lot. Did put in a new oil sensor and got the same results. Are you recommending the engine bearings when you say bearings?

Old 07-11-04, 03:21 PM
Yes that would be correct.Main and connecting rod bearings.

Old 07-11-04, 03:55 PM
I'd make sure that new oil pump also gets a new pick up tube and screen.

Old 07-12-04, 02:03 PM
peter88
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by davo
Check the oil pressure with a guage.If it's low replace the pump and bearings at the same time.
I checked the Chiltons general repair manual and it says that I don't have to remove anything or jack up the engine to get the oil pan out on a 1978 F150 302 engine. Is there anyway to validate this as I'm afraid if I pull out the bolts and can't get it out withouut jacking the engine I'll be screwed. I have about 2 inches of clearance under the pan but can't tell how far down things extend into the pan and whether or not it will clear. Alltune data doesn't go back that far to check. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-12-04, 02:12 PM
I have done this on a 351 modified and removed the shocks from the bottom mount and jacked up the front of the truck by the bumper.Provided plenty of room but mine was 4x4 you don't say but I think you would get the same result.Be careful when lifting it up not to ruin the front brake hoses.You may need to disconnect them as well but I didn't on mine.I had to rotate the pan180 front to rear for it to fit out.With hand tools I had the pan off in about 1 hour.