car vibrating when brakes applied

Old 07-12-04, 09:55 AM
car vibrating when brakes applied

I bought a '99 Pontiac Sunbird a couple of weeks ago. Everything was fine. Now, when I apply the brakes - the car starts to vibrate. I assume this is a brake problem. What should I look for?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-04, 11:18 AM
Warped rotors and/or drums.

Old 07-12-04, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by pmgheritage
Warped rotors and/or drums.
And a driver that might be a little aggressive with the braking.

Old 07-12-04, 02:56 PM
We did not have this problem 2 weeks ago when we bought the vehicle and I would be hard pressed to believe that the rotors are warped. If this be the case, how come this wasn't evident when we bought the car.

Also, I am not aggressive with the brakes as I apply pressure evenly until I come to a stop. I have been around a long time to realize erratic driving and stopping causes unnecessary repair bills. I have better things to do than throw my money away because of stupidity.

Old 07-12-04, 03:01 PM
VolvoTech
Visiting Guest
Rotor runout

A possibility that you did not feel the pulsation just after your purchase could be that the dealer or seller had the front rotors machined when they should not have been. For example, if the vehicle needed front brakes and the rotor's thickness was below discard specification but the seller still machined them anyhow the rotors would have been too thin and not able to disipate heat effectively leading to premature warpage regardless of mileage/driving conditions.

VolvoTech
ASE/Volvo/GM STG Certified Tech

Old 07-12-04, 04:06 PM
Whether you're hard pressed to believe it or not, vibration on braking means you have warped rotors and/or drums. Simple as that.