Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Cavalier starting problem

Visiting Guest

07-13-04, 01:52 PM   #1  
stevepu
Cavalier starting problem

I have a 2000 chevolet cavalier 2.2L. My wife ran it out of gas, She thinks. She was driving down the freeway when the engine just stopped. I put 2 gal of gas in it but it still would not start. I was thinking that may be she plugged up the fuel filter by running the tank dry, so I changed the fuel filter. I can hear the fuel pump run when I turn on the key then shut of after a couple of seconds. I checked the spark plugs and they did spark, but I replaced them anyway. If I spay starter fluid into the air intake the engine runs for a moment then stops. It seems that I am still not getting any fuel to the engine. Any ideas? Sure could use the help. Thanks

Steve

St petersburg, fl

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-13-04, 02:02 PM   #2  
Johnc280
Have you checked the fuel pressure to see if the gas is actually getting to the engine? I think Chevy was still using pulsation dampeners then and they are notorious for going bad. The pump could also be pumping the gas right back into the tank either from a leak at the pump inside the tank or with the pressure regulator stuck open.

Hope this helps,

Johnny

Visiting Guest

07-14-04, 04:26 PM   #3  
stevepu
I took apart the fuel line at the injector rail and turned the key on, no fuel but the pump was running and it shut it self off after a couple of secs. So I guess it is the fuel pump.
Thanks for the help.
Steve

Search this Thread