Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

High mileage oils

07-13-04, 08:11 PM   #1  
High mileage oils

anyone have any thoughts on what they advertize as high mileage oil? Any benefits or is this just snake oil.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

07-14-04, 05:02 AM   #2  
Snake oil. I frequently comment here on the service we get out of our wreckers using Sam's Club 10w30. My truck (w/350 Chevy) currently has 260,000 on the engine; and that's 260,000 miles of severe service (I run the ac about 350 days a year). Regular changes will yield more benefits at a lower cost than the "special" oils.

07-14-04, 10:30 AM   #3  
Thanks tow guy, I suspected it was snake oil. I change oil and filter every 3 months or 3000 miles whichever come first.
I would also like to thank the profession, literate people who post here. This site is a blessing.

Visiting Guest

07-14-04, 10:38 AM   #4  
rudyhiebert
High Milage Oils

Posted By: easywind anyone have any thoughts on what they advertize as high mileage oil? Any benefits or is this just snake oil.
That depends on what is advertised. Generally, advertisers assume the average consumer is gullable to accept what they hear and see as "gospel". If a car that has high milage has not been maintained with decent oil and regular oil changes, no amount of "High Milage Oil" is going to solve any poor operation, emission or fuel consumption issue.
One should read the lables and get one that is current SAE rating. SL is now but by the fall/winter we will be seeing SM. Top-of-the-line synthetic lubricants will show this when the time comes.
Remember that using these "High Milage Oils" is a waste of money if you're not using superior oil & air filters. A car also has a transmission which will benefit from top quality/value products.
RH.

Visiting Guest

07-14-04, 10:40 AM   #5  
Churchguy
Specialty Oils

Along the same lines as the original post, is there any benefit to specialty oils? For instance, Castrol claims that their GTX line is engineered for smaller engines. Is this true or is oil just oil and whatever brand I choose will b fine. I only ask because I've been a loyal castrol customer. I had an '84 VW rabbit GTI that ran up 250k miles. All I ever put in it was Castrol GtX and I never had a problem with the engine, other than getting a hole in my oil pan from a rock.

Now I have a Toyota Matrix and am wondering if I should go back to GTX. The dealership uses Valvoline, but old standbyes and such die hard. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks
Jon

Visiting Guest

07-14-04, 10:58 AM   #6  
rudyhiebert
Posted By: Churchguy Now I have a Toyota Matrix and am wondering if I should go back to GTX. The dealership uses Valvoline, but old standbyes and such die hard. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks
Jon
I would be the last one to knock engine oil brands you mention; additionally to post a free ad, however, I challenge you to evaluate what your options are. Your direct email inquiry is welcome EDIT ABOUT ADS, Please go sell your oil some where else or pay for advertising.You have been warned before so heed my advice.Davo

Last edited by davo; 07-14-04 at 02:48 PM.

TX

07-14-04, 12:27 PM   #7  
Matrix?

I also have a Matrix great car I have used GTX in the past with great results over 200K on my last Toyota and the engine was still clean when I traded it in on the new Matrix.However I have been getting lazy in my old age so off to the dealer she goes for the oil change.
But I think once my coupons run out I will go back to GTX.Check out the matrix owners site contact me if you want it.It is mostly kids but it has some good stuff.

Visiting Guest

07-14-04, 01:04 PM   #8  
Churchguy
The Matrix is the way to go

I bought my Matrix in November 2002, because it looked to be the ideal car for the job I had at the time (Supply Salesman). My customers were very specialized, but far apart (my region was Michigan). I bought the Matrix, because of it's cargo capacity, economics, looks, and sportiness. It hasn't failed to impress me. I went with the 5-speed manual and the XR package.

Recently, I had someone with a pickup and a trailer hitch back into me in a parking lot. I didn't actually see the car that hit me, but I gathered the info based on the cars that were there when i parked, and where the car actually hit me. The hitch made contact with my hood and only my hood. Kudos to the engineers of that car because it did exactly what it should have in that instance, it crumpled. However, there was no other damage to the car except the hood. I found that replacing the hood was going to be a hassle as my insurance would go up if I reported it and I'd still have to pay $500 for the repair. Instead I went out and found the parts and so far will pay a total cost of $550 when all is said and done. Found the hood for $100 and a painter for $450.

The only problem I've had with the car is that spare parts are difficult to come by through anyone save the dealership.

Search this Thread