Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Installing seperate windshield washer?

Visiting Guest

07-14-04, 06:33 AM   #1  
hyperstork
Installing seperate windshield washer?

I have a used Subaru Impreza Wagon '99, automatic.

For some strange reason the previous owner had the rear windshield washer removed completely. But the wiper itself is still there (and works). I want to jury-rig a new washer system for the rear (without tearing open the back of the rear door to get into the innards).

Basically what I'm trying to do:

Install a pump, fluid receptacle, and related hose and spray nozzle. I'm planning on getting a heavier duty type nozzle and pump if possible.

When finished, I want the fluid bottle to be in the back, _independant_ of the front wiper system, and I'll duct tape or otherwise position the nozzle for spraying myself. I need to be able to control it from the driver's seat, of course, but I _can_ provide a separate power supply if the pump is too powerful for the car system (cigarrete-lighter type jumpstart battery unit).

Any help appreciated- or is there anywhere online or a book I should consult for this project? Basically I just want this to be an independant system, but be able to activate it while driving.

Thanks...

Sponsored Links

TX

07-14-04, 07:50 AM   #2  
question

May I ask why you do not want to go back to stock? The reason is because it would be much more easy to buy the missing parts and put them back.

Visiting Guest

07-16-04, 08:59 AM   #3  
hyperstork
Hmm, stock might be okay if I knew what parts to get exactly.

Basically I wanted to rig it with parts I knew worked together and the best pump I could fit. Any suggestions?

TX

07-16-04, 11:09 AM   #4  
parts you might need

If I were you I would go to a wrecking yard that has late model imports like yours (call around) if like most setups you will need the washer tank with has the pump attached,the wiper arm and motor,the spray nozzles,and the switch.
I really dont think the guy before you would go thru all the trouble to remove all the wires so that is a good thing.Make sure you snag all attaching hardware also.
The tank is some place in the rear of the car sometimes under a pop out panel.Also get the tubing if it is still good.

Search this Thread