Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Need to replaice lightbulbs in a 1989 Cougar dashboard

Visiting Guest

07-14-04, 09:11 AM   #1  
wdonman
Need to replaice lightbulbs in a 1989 Cougar dashboard

I have a 1989 Cougar LS with the electronic dashboard. I need to replace the light bulbs that illuminate the instrument cluster(speedometer,gauges and computer) Can anyone tell me how to do this? There are bulbs that are easily accessible at the bottom of the panel for the warning lights but I don't see where to access the bulbs for the rest of the panel. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks

Sponsored Links

07-14-04, 03:15 PM   #2  
If they can be replaced the cluster would most likely need to be removed.Have you checked all of your fuses first?

Visiting Guest

07-14-04, 03:51 PM   #3  
wdonman
Fuses are good. Only one bulb is burned out. I have had cluster out but found no place to access bulbs for the display.

07-14-04, 06:35 PM   #4  
Remove the instrument cluster and its bezel. Remove the plugs from the light timer switch on the left and remove the knob from the headlight switch. Remove the plugs from the back of the instrument cluster and remove all of the bulbs you can get to along the bottom, they need to be removed so you can carefully remove the ribbon wires from the back of the cluster.
There are about six screws to remove the back cover from the instrument cluster. With the back of the cluster off you will see the interior light bulbs, twist and remove them. Take the bulbs out of the plastic bases and replace ALL of them, it is a real pain and you won't want to do it again any time soon.

Visiting Guest

07-15-04, 07:35 PM   #5  
wdonman
Thanks I fixed it today.

07-16-04, 12:26 PM   #6  
Did you change all the bulbs?

Visiting Guest

07-17-04, 03:31 PM   #7  
wdonman
I replaced the one that was burned out with a 194 as I couldn't get a NH7742 that was in there. I didn't do them all as I wanted to see how it worked with the 194 first. I found it interisting though that all the bulbs were mounted on a strip that could be unplug and slid out without taking appart the cluster had it not been fixed in place by some plastic that looks like it was melted after the strip was instaled. If that wasn't done it would be easy to slide out the strip, replace the bulbs and slide it back into place.

Visiting Guest

08-02-04, 08:20 PM   #8  
wdonman
Just an update. The dealer wanted $9.40 + tax a piece for the original 5 watt xenon bulbs but I found some #9732 5 watt xenon bulbs at See Gull Lighting for $1.12 a piece. So for $7.58 delivered to my door I replaced all six for less then the cost of one bulb from the dealer and it works great!

Search this Thread