98 Ford Expedition A/C Recharge HELP

Old 07-16-04, 10:30 AM
jgq
Visiting Guest
Question 98 Ford Expedition A/C Recharge HELP

Can someone help me I need to recharge the A/C on a 98 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer. How do I do it I have a R-134a service kit it contains a hose, gauge, valve and 14 oz. refrigerant can. I need help from A to Z or does anyone know a website with diagrams I can look at?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-04, 12:15 PM
Before you recharge it it much be nice to know why it leaked in the first place, so that you don't have to do it again. It's not very nice for the enviroment to constantly realease refrigerant in the athmosphere, even the ozone "friendly" R134.

Old 07-16-04, 02:38 PM
We don't recommend inexperience people attempting that service. It can be very dangerous. One wrong move can cause that can to explode in your hand. Adding refrigerant to a system that isn't low can severely damage the system also. If you can afford an Eddie Bauer Expedition, I wouldn't thing the $50 or less they will charge you to do that will break the bank.

Old 07-16-04, 04:37 PM
You need to find someone willing to help in person and I don't mean some kid who charged his up.Refrigerant is dangerous stuff I don't want someone losing an eye,finger or who knows what because a can exploded or liquid refrigerant landed in an eye because all possible precautions were not taken.Even if they are followed something bad can happen.I have had hoses come apart while charging a system that were weak or had a restriction.I had compressors explode when I turned them on because the person before me isolated the compressor because they didn't know the valve positions of the older cars.AC is something you need in person help with if you don't know the basics.You will also need guages a charging hose will not give you pressure readings and that is an important aspect of ac work.Guage reading help to tell what is wrong in the first place.

Old 07-21-04, 05:56 AM
Lartrainer
Visiting Guest
Angry A/C Recharge Help

Wow! If someone could tell me where I can go to get my a/c recharged for $50, that would be super! I thought this forum was for the "Do-It-Yourselfers". I would think that there wouldn't be any kits sold to the general public if cans were exploding each time someone depressed an E-Z Charge can. Even so, I'm sure there would be a massive recall so that idiots like us non-A.S.E Certified wouldn't be like toddlers with matches. Perhaps someone could just give this guy some information so that he WON'T wind up shooting his eye out. Thanks.

Old 07-21-04, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by Lartrainer
Wow! If someone could tell me where I can go to get my a/c recharged for $50, that would be super! I thought this forum was for the "Do-It-Yourselfers". I would think that there wouldn't be any kits sold to the general public if cans were exploding each time someone depressed an E-Z Charge can. Even so, I'm sure there would be a massive recall so that idiots like us non-A.S.E Certified wouldn't be like toddlers with matches. Perhaps someone could just give this guy some information so that he WON'T wind up shooting his eye out. Thanks.
Thanks for the lecture but No thanks. If someone is not experienced in the handlind of refrigerant, my only advice he's going to get from me is "let the professionals do it". There are shops doing it all day for $50 and even less. Of course this doesn't include the freon, but he's going to have to buy that anyway. As for why do they sell it. It's called MONEY! People will sell ANYTHING that someone else is willing to give them money for. Refrigerant is dangerous, period. One side of the A/C system runs pressures in excess of 300lbs and if it is inadvertantly fed back into the can it will blow. Now save your lecture for a subject you know something about.

Old 07-21-04, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by Lartrainer
All the information you need to perform that job (in the manner you want to perform it) is supplied with your "E-Z Charge" kit. If that information does not help you, I'd suggest you see a professional.

Search this Thread