96 Ford Taurus Heater Fan

Old 07-16-04, 04:45 PM
tgger43
Visiting Guest
96 Ford Taurus Heater Fan

I have a 96 Ford Taurus 4dr Sedan. Today when I turned off the ignition the AC Fan kept running. Normally this would turn off with the ignition. I tried turning the ignition back on and off. Still running. Everything else, Radio etc.., turn off like normal. I even tried turning the middle selector knob to off and it just tranferred the air stream to the floor.

Help

Tgger43

Old 07-16-04, 06:29 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you have automatic temp control with a bad blower module. Is it automatic?

Old 07-16-04, 08:26 PM
tgger43
Visiting Guest
No automatic temp control (standard 96 Taurus heater/AC/Radio oval)

this one has 3 dials
1. Fan speed
2. Air Flow Control (Full A/C, A/C, Vent, Off, Floor/Vent, Floor etc..)
3. Temp Dial (a blue graphic line going from a greater width to lesser width clockwise and a red grapic line going from greater with to a lesser with in a counter clockwise direction)

Normally when the 2nd dial is turned off the fan is OFF. or is also off when the ignition is turned off. However it is now constantly on. I'm having to disconnect the battery to keep it from being drained.

I good samaritan who jump started my car for me thought there might be a pressure switch involved. What do you think???

Tgger43

Old 07-16-04, 11:57 PM
J
Has anyone done any work (involving wiring) on the car just before the problem began? It sounds like the wiring isn't correct.

Old 07-17-04, 03:51 AM
Check the blower resister. It's mounted in the A/C box between the blower motor and the evaporator. That's just a stab in the dark. It will take a schematic to trace it properly.

Old 07-17-04, 07:38 AM
tgger43
Visiting Guest
No wiring work of any kind has been done on the car since purchased back in 1999. The resistor aspect sounds intriguing and will check it out. Would high weather temps affect a resistor. Just wondering if that could be a reason.

Old 07-17-04, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by tgger43
Would high weather temps affect a resistor. Just wondering if that could be a reason.
No, it creates heat itself and the fan cools it. They go bad pretty often but the symptom is usually losing one or more blower speeds but it is possible to short to ground since the motor gets power all the time.

Old 07-18-04, 07:09 PM
J
According to the schematic from the Haynes manual, the blower motor should only be getting power when the key is in the run position. The schematic starts with a 40Amp blower motor fuse which goes to a relay. The relay should always be hot only when the key is in the run position. (Of course you can't entirely trust a Haynes manual schematic to be correct for a particular model) There might be the blower motor relay stuck in the on position.

Do this test: Remove the relay for the blower motor and do a continuity test on it. The relay is located in a black plastic box next to the battery. An auto parts store such as auto zone might be able to help if you don't know how to do this. Also, when you remove the relay, you should see 4 terminals that it plugs into. You should have battery voltage at only one of those terminals (with the ignition switch off). If you have battery voltage on 2 terminals then you might have a problem with the ignition switch.

There is a fuse , #13, 5 amp, in the fuse box near the steering wheel that is part of the blower circuit but that fuse is also part of the airbag circuit. DO NOT do any testing on this or remove the fuse. Maybe someone else can comment on this. I don't think you need to do anything there anyway.

What is confusing is that you said this:
I even tried turning the middle selector knob to off and it just tranferred the air stream to the floor.
It seems like there is a problem involving the blend door actuator. The schematic is very vague on how this works and how it relates to the the blower resistor or motor. If the only problem was the blower always getting power, you should still be able to turn it off using the selector knob.

I reccommend getting the Haynes manual for the car....from the library if you don't want to buy it. I have it since I own a '97 Taurus. It has a good description, along with pictures, of how to test the blower resistor and also has a schematic.

Until you can get this problem fixed, instead of disconnecting the battery all the time, you can remove the blower fuse or relay instead. Have the blower speed knob on the lowest setting when doing this.

One question: Are you familiar with troubleshooting electrical circuits?

Last edited by jeff67; 07-18-04 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-18-04, 11:06 PM
tgger43
Visiting Guest
I am familar just been a while. Thanks for all the advice

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: