Timing Belt Replacement

Old 11-19-01, 02:00 PM
Visiting Guest
Reference Materials

I am beginning to plan for remodeling my basement. I have some basic framing / wiring / etc knowledge, but I'm looking for some good reference books (you can never have too much knowledge).

What I'm looking for are books on framing, wiring, etc that are good reference books, and may have a basement twist to them (but don't have to).

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-16-04, 08:03 PM
Baseball Bernie
Visiting Guest
Timing Belt Replacement

My 99 Nissan Sentra, 5 Speed, has 67K miles and my friend keeps telling me I need to change the timing belt before it goes out and causes major engine damage. He also says I should have the water pump changed at the same time and should cost around $800 to $1000. I'm wondering if he knows what he's talking about. Is this true for 99 sentras or just some car he's had in the past. I know I heard this before but not specificaly regarding 99 sentras. Any Help or advise would be appreciated.

Old 07-16-04, 08:08 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Good advice

Your friend is right if you have a timing belt it needs replacment at whatever Nissan says check the books also the water pump should be replaced for good measure because you sure do not want to replace the belt and have the water pump go south 10 thousand miles later.

Old 07-17-04, 05:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
I think your friend needs to check his facts. If I'm not mistaken I think you'll find when you go to buy a timing belt that your car has a timing CHAIN vice belt and will not need routine replacement.
You can double check by looking in your owners manual under preventice maintenance to see if it lists a mileage for replacement, but Gates does not list one:

http://www.gates.com/downloads/downl...older=brochure

Old 07-17-04, 09:36 AM
M
thats right

Like I said if you have a belt it needs replaced Chains do not I do not know what the Nissan has you can call a Nissan dealer and ask.I have a new Toyota and found it odd that there was no mention of belt replacment so I called and found out I have a chain.

Old 07-18-04, 09:28 AM
P
You didn't list the engine size, but either available that year are chain equipped. No PM listed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: