Fog from AC vents

Old 07-18-04, 02:40 PM
tnash
Visiting Guest
Fog from AC vents

I have a 1988 Toyota Landcruiser, with auto transmission.

When I run the AC it works well for a while (15-20 minutes) and then stops cooling and emits a white fog from the vents. I can turn off the AC for a while, usually more than an hour, which normally includes turning off the engine, and the AC will work again for a short period when I turn it on.

There are not any signs of fluid on the passenger side floor. I have never serviced the heater core. I also have a musty smell (typical I think) from the AC system when I restart the AC system after it has sat idle for several hours.

Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-04, 05:08 PM
Your evaporator could be freezing up. Does the blower force seem to decline at the same time? You should have the A/C thermostat checked

Old 07-18-04, 10:26 PM
tnash
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. I have not noticed any reduction in blower force. I usually shut the AC down pretty quick when this happens. I will verify.

What about the heater core being the issue? Any thought on if this might be the cause?

Old 07-19-04, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by tnash
What about the heater core being the issue? Any thought on if this might be the cause?
Not if you don't have the heat on. There is a blend door separating the core from the air your getting. You would also be getting a sweet smell and an oily residue on the windsheild.