Primary hood latch stuck 'open'

Old 07-18-04, 06:02 PM
98Mirage
Visiting Guest
Primary hood latch stuck 'open'

I have a 98 Mitsubishi Mirage. The hood won't close all the way. The secondary latch is holding, but the primary latch won't engage when I try to close the hood. How can I fix this, and is it expensive? Is this a major repair? Or could I do this myself? I have a friend who does some car stuff, think he could do it?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-04, 07:54 PM
No, not a major repair. A major repair would be more like a transmission overhaul. Try spraying some WD40 on the latch where it rotates.

Old 07-18-04, 11:19 PM
98Mirage
Visiting Guest
I tried the Wd40...nothing. The latch is moving, it just won't actually 'lock on' to the hood. How much does this usually cost?

Old 07-19-04, 06:29 AM
maybe an adjustment

Maybe an adjustment is required does it latch if you push down on the hood?
If so you will have to adjust the two stops on the radiatior support.Has your car been in a accident?
There are several ways to adjust the latch you just have to look at it and see what needs to be done.
Most latches have elongated holes so you can move it back and forth.Also look at the part that is on the hood that goes into the latch it might have moved.

Old 07-23-13, 11:50 AM
solution

This just happened to me. It turned out be be a small spring that's broken (and rather tough to see). I went to a used auto parts yard, bought a new assembly for $25 and installed it in half an hour. really easy, only 2 bolts and transfer the wire cable over to the new one. any one can do it as long as you pay attention to detail