Replacing Transmission on 96 Lumina

Old 07-19-04, 09:39 AM
Replacing Transmission on 96 Lumina

---------------------------

Last edited by kuhurdler; 02-18-07 at 12:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-04, 03:24 PM
I would definitely discourage you from attempting a rebuild. I had this same problem on my 95 a few weeks ago, and even having spent 18 years as a wrench, I wouldn't have dreamed of rebuilding the thing with no knowledge of it. Replacement alone will be no easy task, even with some heavy equipment such as an engine hoist, a transmission jack, and 4 heavy duty jackstands. No air tools would also add lots of time and trouble. That trans. has to come out from under the car, cradle and all. Which means if you don't intend to bring the engine with it, you'll have to support the engine from on top. A Haynes manual, in this case, will likely be sorely lacking. There are variations on the 4T60E, you'll have to get the #'s off the ID tag, which is located on the backside of the trans. about mid-engine, right below the coilpacks. A flashlight, an extendable mirror, and the ability to read backwards are required. If you do attempt it, gather as much knowledge as possible, and all the necessary equipment and tools before you start. Then give yourself several days to accomplish it.

Old 07-19-04, 03:37 PM
If I were you I would not attempt a rebuild you would need special tools and being unskilled in trans repair you would likely remove it more than once.If you choose to r and r yourself it is also a pita.I walked my cousin through certain steps over the phone.He said he had more than 20 hours in it.I'm not bragging but I can r and r a 4t60e in about 4 hours and be driving it down the road.I also have been doing 2-3 a week for 3 months and my arms and shoulders hurt real bad.It will be a hard job for you so make sure you are commited before you start.

Old 07-19-04, 04:10 PM
---------------------

Old 07-19-04, 04:43 PM
I don't care for used trannies,I like to call them used up trannies.Cars hit the boneyards because they are wrecked,the engine is bad or the tranny is bad.You can't tell which when you are buying one.Most junkyards around here tell you it's only got 40k miles on it.How would they know?Maybe a used trans or engine was put in the car they got it out of and had say 80k on it at the time of install.Sorry rebuilt to me is the only way to go.If you want do the r and r yourself but the warranty issue may get sketchy with the flushing the cooler requirement.

Old 07-22-04, 02:12 AM
transman618
Visiting Guest
Its a lot of work, replacing the trans yourself. Just make sure that you get one from the same vehicle and the same year. The only real differences are in the gearing of the final drive. If you get something different, you will confuse the computer and cause all sorts of problems.

transman

Old 07-29-04, 09:53 AM
--------------------

Search this Thread