96 Taurus Daytime Running Lights (DRL) stay on

Old 07-19-04, 10:32 AM
tropicbird
Visiting Guest
Question 96 Taurus Daytime Running Lights (DRL) stay on

I have a 96 Ford Taurus that is experiencing some problem with the Daytime Running Lights (DRL). With the engine off and the key out of the ignition, the DRLs do not turn off. My wife called me and advised of the problem this morning, and was clever enough to try and pull the fuse for the DRL, but they were STILL on. She finally disconnected the battery, which of course took care of the problem temporarily. I checked around on the net and found 1) this does not appear to be uncommon on the Taurus and 2) that I may be able to disconnect the DRL module to resolve the issue inexpensively.

My question is: does this sound like something simple, or are we talking tracking down a wiring short somewhere ($$$)?

If disconnecting the module sounds like a reasonable solution (and I understand the module is under the front fender on the driver's side), are there any issues I need to be aware of in doing so?

THANKS! I really appreciate any advice...

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-04, 10:45 PM
The module might be the problem. It could be the "normal headlights" (rather than the Daytime Running Lights) that are stuck on. Do you have an Auto lamp delay (a thumbwheel switch located next to the intrument panel dimmer switch)? If so, its possible to set that so that the headlights stay on up to 3 minutes after the ignition is turned off. Perhaps the wife inadvertantly set the switch to max (3 minute delay)?

There are 2 fuses for DRL, fuse #30 inside the car (which is also for high beams) and another fuse near the battery (#15 or #18 I think)...its a 15 amp fuse. If you pull them and they don't turn the lights off, try pulling the fuse for the headlamps, and then the fuse for the autolamp (they might be the same fuse, I'm not sure)

If disconnecting the module sounds like a reasonable solution (and I understand the module is under the front fender on the driver's side), are there any issues I need to be aware of in doing so?
I don't think so, but check with the dealer or someone else here might know for sure.

Last edited by jeff67; 07-22-04 at 04:22 AM.