Montero Smokes after idling for a few minutes/merged for continuity

Old 07-19-04, 06:00 PM
bdodd444
Visiting Guest
Montero Smokes after idling for a few minutes/merged for continuity

How bad is it? When my Montero idles for a couple minutes when I start out again a big cloud of white smoke comes out. It doesn't do it if I'm at a light etc, but if I wait outside a store for 2-3 minutes, a burst of white smoke comes out when I take off. Please any guidance is greatly appreciated. It is a 95 montero with 138,000 miles. Thanks.

Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-04, 06:53 PM
That's generally an indication of bad valve seals/guides. Does that smoke have a blue tint to it? Is it consuming any coolant?

Old 07-19-04, 07:03 PM
bdodd444
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. The smoke seems pretty white, and I simply haven't noticed the coolant because it gets topped off when I have the oil changed. I do know that it burns some oil, about a quart every 1,000 miles. I do stay on top of that. When the oil is low it knocks a little and stops when the oil is added. Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 07-19-04, 07:40 PM
If your using a quart of oil every 1000 miles I'd say for sure it's your valve seals, nothing to worry about. You should also keep a close eye on your coolant cause if your using coolant it may be your head gasket leaking.

Old 07-20-04, 08:40 AM
bdodd444
Visiting Guest
Thanks again for the feedback. Are Valve seals and guides the same thing?

Old 07-20-04, 11:24 AM
bdodd444
Visiting Guest
Follow Up-Montero Smokes after idling

Thanks for the helplful responses to my first question. The follow up is:

1) Should seals and guides be replaced at the same time?

2) What is a reasonable ballpark estimate for replacing the valve seals and guides?

1995 Montero, 138,000 miles

Thanks again.

Brian

Old 07-20-04, 11:38 AM
You likely have bad guides. Replacing the seal would be a temporary much less expensive way of improving things. In order to replace the guides, you have to send the heads out to a machine. At that point, the overall condition of the heads will determine the costs to do a complete valve job at the machine shop. Removing the heads and reinstalling could run $400-$500. When a major repair like that is done, it is customary to replace other wear items like water pump, possibly radiator, thermostat and all ignition parts if they have not been recently replaced. All this should only be done if the lower half of the motor is very healthy.
If you have any further questions concerning this same issue and vehicle, just add the the existing thread. No need for a new one.