Mazda 626 Starting Problems please help!

Old 07-19-04, 08:43 PM
erichvr
Visiting Guest
Mazda 626 Starting Problems please help!

My 1989 Mazda 626 2.2L has been giving me starting problems for about two months now, I've ran into this problem at least a dozen times.

The power is all there, headlights are strong and all interior lights are fine but when I turn the key to the start position I get nothing. I have tried to starting it for hours and it won't start. Then I'll come back to it the next day and it will start just fine.

Initially we tested the starter (several times) and the battery and they both checked out fine. A mechanic friend of mine thought it might be a faulty ignition switch and installed a push button that bypassed the ignition switch and went straight to the starter, it worked just fine after he installed it but when I ran into the problem it failed.

Does this mean that it is probably the starter and that the test results were wrong or could it still be something else?

I absolutely need to fix this problem and any advice on where to go from here would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you all!

Old 07-19-04, 10:35 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If the starter does works sometimes, then it could have passed when you had it tested, since it works intermittantly, but still be bad.

I'm not sure where your starter is located, but, if you can, look to see if you have any coolant or oil, etc. dripping on the starter that might cause a temporary short. Just a shot in the dark.

My guess is a bad starter, but someone else here might have a better idea.

Old 07-19-04, 10:59 PM
erichvr
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the imput Jeff that's what I'm thinking too, I guess I'm looking for peace of mind that if I put a new starter in it it will fix my problem! I'm dying wondering what if anything else could be causing this because I can't afford to replace the starter if it's not broken.

I had to leave the car in a grocery store parking lot tonight because it wouldn't start. Tommorow when I wake up I'm going to go and see if it will start and then if it does I'm going to see if the push button works again so I can 100% completely rule out the ignition switch.

If anyone has any other ideas please let me know! Thanks!

Old 07-20-04, 10:04 AM
E
Next time when your car does not start, try tapping the starter with a rubber mallet, if it starts there's your problem. You also should check out your battery cables, make sure they're clean and tight.

Old 07-20-04, 02:24 PM
J
Tommorow when I wake up I'm going to go and see if it will start and then if it does I'm going to see if the push button works again so I can 100% completely rule out the ignition switch.
You can rule out the ignition switch when the vehicle does not start using the key AND does not start using the remote starter switch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: