Toyota Overheating- Fan Question

Old 07-22-04, 10:26 AM
CLSindy
Visiting Guest
Question Toyota Overheating- Fan Question

Need advice.

My 2000 Toyota Avalon has never had issues with over heating until after I had Toyota change my Timing Belt/Water Pump/Thermostat.

It only overheats when it is hot outside 92F or higher while driving in stop/go traffic or on prolonged inclines.

Took it back to Toyota thinking it might be a poorly functioning Thermostat, but they refused to evaluate the Thermostat since they could not get it to overheat (Outside temp was in the mid 80's).

On visual exam of the car the fan(s) to the radiator do not both come on when the auto is overheating. The fan closest to the drivers side never seems to come on when the gauge shows the needle rapidly rising over about a 30 second- 2 minute span of time.

Is this possibly:
The Sensor not working
The Fan or Fan Belt needing repair or adjustment
Something Toyota might not have put back/adjusted correctly after servicing the vehicle since that seems to have been beginning of the problem.
Or something else??

I appreciate any insight into this issue.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-04, 04:41 PM
Insist they repair it, could be a air pocket

Old 07-23-04, 09:56 AM
CLSindy
Visiting Guest
Question Air Pocket?

Hi Larry,

Thank you for your response. Can you please explain the idea of an air pocket to me? An air pocket in what?

It sounds as if you think that the service visit could reasonably have caused my current issue, is this correct?

I have a basic understanding of automotive mechanics for a nurse. However my education is apparently lacking in this area. I'd appreciate any education tips you could provide me.

THANK YOU!!!!

Carol

Old 07-23-04, 11:27 AM
Air pocket in the cooling system, not totally full of coolant and needs to have the air purged out. Return to the dealer and demand they correct it.

Old 07-24-04, 01:08 PM
EARLS
Visiting Guest
Overheating Toyota

If The Car Is Equipped With Ac It Will Have Two Fans, With Ac Off Only One Fan Operates To Cool The Engine, With Ac On Both Fans Should Come On If Car Is Hot Enough.

Old 07-24-04, 02:11 PM
Not true on Toyota. Fan circuit very complex...At times both fans are in series circuit turning slowly and at times in a parallel circuit turning at high speed.

The days of one dedicated fan for engine and A/C are gone.

Old 08-04-04, 09:18 AM
CLSindy
Visiting Guest
Question 3rd visit to Toyota and still not fixed

I am really getting frustrated. As Larry advised I did take my car back into the dealership and they had it all day yesterday. They said they would make sure that there was no air in the system and they would replace the new Thermostat for good measure.

On level ground I checked the fan to see if it was working prior to driving it off the lot. It was (this was immediately after starting with an outside temperature of 79).

Going home, in even milder temperatures than usual (84), after I started going up the mountain to my home I notice a sudden rise of the temp gauge. I pulled over and looked at the fan while on the incline and the fan was not on. A few minutes later I pulled over as soon as I hit the decline since the heat gauge began to pull back....at that time the fan was on. I went just a little farther to my driveway which is a steep incline and while facing down the incline looked at the fan and it was running. Then I immediately turned the car around so that it was facing up the incline...took maybe 45 seconds to do that...and the fan was not on.

Though I only tried this once....not sure if it is indicitive of what you were saying about the air bubble or if I am spinning my wheels. I stopped by a shop on the way to work this morning and he says I am stuck with Toyota and need to go back again because of the warrenty issues. I was kind of hoping to have an outside person do a diagnostic test, but the mechanic said that Toyota would just blow that off.

I need HELP!!!! What can I do myself to help definitively diagnose the problem so that the dealership will do something? Right now they say...must be the radiator if not the thermostat and I don't buy that. If the radiator was corroded the fluid would look dirty and the temperature gauge would have shown a gradual increase over a longer period of time instead of just reacting dramatically in certain situations...right?

Thank you for your time and insight...this is my fourth Toyota and I'd hate to have incentive to change the trend.

Carol

1:30pm- Took a few minutes to watch my car idle on a slant. 80 degrees outside. Both fans are cycling on and off on any level(slant) of surface....Primary fan and the lazy fan (drivers side) both were off for a time together, and primary fan cycled on and off more readily, but the lazy fan did come on for very short periods of time..sometimes for only 20-30 seconds and then it would turn off. Only other thing...I have a Toyota bra/mask that was also applied to my car probably a week after service. Does NOT cover the grille area, though it hooks through the grille area....could this be an issue?
More confused than ever....where do I go with this?

Last edited by CLSindy; 08-04-04 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Theory Failed
Old 08-05-04, 10:50 AM
CLSindy
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

Larry,

Do you have any idea's on how I should proceed???

Thanks,

Carol

Old 08-06-04, 02:47 AM
Only other thing...I have a Toyota bra/mask that was also applied to my car probably a week after service. Does NOT cover the grille area, though it hooks through the grille area....could this be an issue?

Well thats new news.....why don't you remove it and see.

Where on the guage does it run?

Old 08-06-04, 12:55 PM
CLSindy
Visiting Guest
Gauge

It runs about 1/8" below half normally. Currently in hot weather while going up hills it spikes up and usually when it reaches 3/4's or above I pull over to let it rest. The initial incident back in early July had surprised me and it hit the Red before I even knew it after only about 30 minutes of driving in stop/go traffic in 105 degree heat. Since then, I have always shut the engine off prior to getting to the red. Previously extreme heat or hills would not even cause the needle to move more than 1/8", if at all.

I can try the removal of the bra. It is supposed to finally get hot here in the next week so I imagine I will have the time to try anything out.

Is it normal in 80 degree heat for both fans to turn off at the same time (even for short periods)?

I really appreciate your help. Especially at 1 something in the morning (your post time).

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Carol

Old 08-06-04, 01:07 PM
The fans will go on and off at much lower temps than 80*

Old 09-01-04, 01:25 PM
CLSindy
Visiting Guest
Question Toyota Avalon still overheating

My Avalon continues to spike on the heat gauge in hot weather (90<) when ever I am on an incline for more than ~5 minutes or in stop and go traffic. Removing the bra has not effected the problem. Luckily it has been a very cool summer.

Next question: Is there ANYTHING that could cause the engine to overheat only in those certain conditions?

When they replaced the timing belt, water pump, and thermostat(1st thermostat) could there have been something that was not adjusted correctly or something that was not re-connected correctly that can cause this?

I find that turning off the AC and turning on the heater does pull the temp down when I see the needle on th gauge moving north rapidly.

The dealership is adamant that the radiator must be replaced next since the problem is continuing.....does not make sense to me as the radiator is only 3 1/2 years old and the fluids show no evidence of rust and the temp gauge has shown no elevation of "normal" in the entire life of the car.

HELP PLEASE?? I am stuck.

Old 09-01-04, 03:11 PM
Give them the go ahead
The dealership is adamant that the radiator must be replaced next since the problem is continuing....
under the condition if it dosen't solve the problem they refund you your $.

A radiator dosen't have to be rusty to restrict the flow (it would be corrosion due to not changing the coolant). It would exhibit the condtions you are experiencing only on heavy demand