wet carpet toyota camry

Old 07-22-04, 02:32 PM
russh
Visiting Guest
wet carpet toyota camry

I get a wet carpet passenger side in the rear. Front stays dry. I think it may be connected to the AC system. How does one unplug the AC drain hose - how do I find it ??? Also I note the concrete driveway is dry after sitting there for 3-4 minutes with the A/C on - usually there is a wet discharge from underneath the car - which used to be from the A/C. IT is dry and hot here - no rain. A couple of weeks ago, after pulling out of the parking lot at work at the end of the day, I got a slighly wet foot when turning a corner sharply - something cold leaked onto my right foot. However, this has not happened since - I was driving at the time. Russ H.

Last edited by russh; 07-22-04 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Even more info
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-04, 02:36 PM
Don't blame the A/C if the front mat is dry and the back one is wet. That's either coming down from the sky or up from the road, most likely the sky.

Old 07-22-04, 02:57 PM
russh
Visiting Guest
That is what I thought but it is 90F or above and no rain. Roads are dry.

I was wondering if the wetness is running in a channel from the front to the back - however there is a ridge between the fron and back areas under the passender seat at the front.

Old 07-22-04, 03:16 PM
It's simply impossible for A/C condensation to get from the Evaporator to the back seat without wetting the front, and probably not even then. There are humps dividing front from rear.
Just pull the front carpet back at the top and look for your self.

Last edited by Desi501; 07-22-04 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-22-04, 03:48 PM
russh
Visiting Guest
RE: Wet Carpet - Camry

I vacuumed out about 1/2 to 2/3's cup of water from the rear. I have put my hand on the front carpet and although they are dry, there may be perhaps a hint of dampness. Could there be ridges in the floor structure where the water is running from front to rear.
Tomorrow, I will drive without the A/C on and see if I get water accumulation.
It is strange that I am no longer getting the condensation drip on the driveway - that is what is making me think he wetness is more than likely from the AC.
Thanks for your input. Anymore comments will be most welcome.

Old 07-22-04, 04:11 PM
Just pull the carpet back, leave the A/C running and watch.

Old 07-22-04, 04:28 PM
russh
Visiting Guest
Camry Wet Carpet.

You have helped me confirm your thoughts. Pulled back carpet and it is leaking at the front. I see it drip once every 2-3 seconds. The housing (black) has condensation on the outside. The hose at the bottom was disconnected and water gushed out. I put the hose back on. Still need to drain the rest of the water. Can I run a hanger from the inside to the outside, rather than from the outside to the inside - it would be easier than accessing from the underside of the car.
Could the pressure build-up with a block hose compromised the flange of the evaporator. I ask this as it looks like I get a drip from the flange where it screws to the side with 2-3 brass screws??
Thanks again.
Russ

Old 07-22-04, 04:29 PM
You didn't state the year?

Your description seems like the A/C drain. It will end up in the rear, the floor slopes to the rear and their is no humps to impede the flow.

Pull back the carpet on pass side to find drain going through the floor (assuming late '90's)

Old 07-22-04, 06:33 PM
This problem was resolved in PM. Turns out the front mat was soaked and the drain was the problem. For some reason, the lube shop that did his last oil change stuck an old drain plug into the drain tube. It must have been dripping on him.

Last edited by Desi501; 07-22-04 at 07:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-23-04, 10:51 AM
russh
Visiting Guest
Resolution of Wet Carpet - Camry

Cause of wet carpets was a blocked evaporator drain line. The blockage was caused by an oil drain pan plug/bolt. At last oil change, the mechanic stuffed the plug into the drain line - apparantly the guy had done it before - he has since left.... Got 1 years free oil changes from the oil change place - (GreaseMonkey).
On pulling back the forward carpet, the padding was soaked. I vacuumed 3+ pints of water out of the carpet. After removing the seat I pulled up the right hand side of the carpet front and rear and dried it off over night and this morning. Used a fan overnight and a hair drier today. Applied anti mildew/fungus... spray to everywhere. Put the whole caboodle back lunchtime today.
Thanks for all the help.