oil pressure sending unit?

Old 07-22-04, 11:54 PM
badseed
Visiting Guest
oil pressure sending unit?

i am woundering if it is possable to change the hose for the oil pressure sending unit? i purchased a car with an oil guage thats under the hood, never been ran through the fire wall yet, and the person said the car needed a new rear main seal but when i put oil in it and started it i found out that the hose for the oil pressure sending unit had about a 3/4 inch crack in it causeing the oil leak, problem was not the rear main seal, so i would like to just change the hose but i dont know if i have to buy a new unit and gauge and if they come with the hose i just dont know maybe some one can help me out.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-04, 04:17 AM
I am assuming that the oil gauge in the car is aftermarket. If the hose is a clear plastic tube than you can buy the hose and ferrals as a kit at any part store. I have seen them at Auto Zone, Advanced, etc.

Old 07-23-04, 09:17 AM
Also, it is recommended that you do not run an oil line for a pressure gauge into the passenger compartment. You can see that it has already failed once. And if it fails on the end in the passenger compartment, besides the mess it will make, there is the possibility of injury associated with the hot oil, or accident if it sprays on the windshield.

Old 07-23-04, 09:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You might also want to look at replacing the plastic hose with small copper tubbing. I have an aftermarket oil gauge that came with the plastic hose. It lasted a few months and sprung a leak. Went to ACE hardware with the plastic hose size and they matched it with copper tubing, ferrals, etc. never leaked again.

Old 07-23-04, 02:16 PM
Another option is to slide some rubber vacuum line over the entire plastic hose to protect if from any chaafing.