Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

2000 chevy express van 4.3L

Visiting Guest

07-24-04, 02:27 PM   #1  
holy.grail
2000 chevy express van 4.3L

Our van doesn't like to start anymore it takes quite a few turns of the key to get going...sometimes up to 5 minutes. Well yesterday my husband got it going but ended up stalled when he stopped to do a few things.

My husband is now trying to get out the old fuel pump. It seemed to have stopped working. Anyhow he is trying to syphen (?) out the tank...but there doesn't seem to be any easy way. Doesn't seem to want to come out to easy. Any suggestions on this...

Also how the heck do you replace the fuel pressure regulator...we also think that may be why the van is not starting.

We are in a bit of hurry and any suggestions will help!

Edited to say...II'm sure my husband swallowed some of that gas is there something he should do. I know men have been doing this for years.

Last edited by holy.grail; 07-24-04 at 02:37 PM.

Sponsored Links

07-24-04, 05:00 PM   #2  
IF HE SWALLOWED GASOLINE THE EMERGENCY ROOM WOULD BE MY FIRST STOP.If you like him that is.

07-25-04, 05:33 AM   #3  
Before your husband continues I would suggest he check the connections at the vehicle control module.It is located below the master cylinder and I think there are 5 plugs going to it unplug all of them and check for corrosion.People spill brake fluid on it and the seals go bad.If you don't find the answer there I think he needs to check fuel pressure and spark before continuing.

Visiting Guest

07-26-04, 06:00 AM   #4  
holy.grail
He did get the fuel pump off but, I will give him this news.

This van came from a company that used it for road miles, so it has quite a few on it. We talked to his father who still works at that company yesterday. He said a 2001 Express Van also had to have the same thing replaced this year and one of the other workers that owns another van same model has also had to have it replaced. So I wouldn't doubt that the fuel pump is bad.

My husband picked up a new fuel pump yesterday (not installed yet) he said it (motor?) looks like it is bigger then the older one. Sounds like maybe the chevy company realized that they needed one that was stronger??? I'm hoping that is the case the store said this was the correct one to replace ours.

PS...We read on line to drink milk and eat bread for the gas that he swallowed. It was a small amount. He is doing just fine today.

Search this Thread