trouble removing rear drums on 93 sable

Old 07-25-04, 08:14 AM
rob
trouble removing rear drums on 93 sable

Hi - I've had these rear drums off before, and without a problem, but that's not what's happening today!

I think the drum probably has a ridge in it preventing the drum from slipping off, so I wanted to back off on the adjuster. I'm never sure which way tightens the adjuster, so I usually do it a little and if the drum gets tighter, then I go the other way instead. Today, it got tight fast. I can't get the aduster to go the other direction. In fact, I'm not even sure which is the correct direction anymore!

I gave up for tonight out of frustation.

I have 2 ideas:
1. Grind down the brake spoon to make it a little thinner, in case the problem is that the blade is not fitting well into the adjuster.

2. Remove the brake lines that prevent me from getting a straight shot into the slot.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-04, 09:16 AM
You need to use a second tool to hold the adjuster lever away from the adjuster to turn it the other way.It's not easy but can be done.I wouldn't open a brake line to do this you may end up buying wheel cylinders if the bleeder screws are frozen.

Old 07-25-04, 01:02 PM
rob
Thanks. I think you're right that the adjuster is holding it from loosening. Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly how it looks inside there so I don't know where to push to release the adjuster. I can peak in a little bit with a mirror but all I see is the star adjuster. It's a pretty tiny hole! I'm about ready to give up. I think if it was overhead and I could see what I was doing I might be able to loosen it.

Old 07-25-04, 05:18 PM
From the back of the car - clockwise loosens, counterclockwise tightens. I find that a smaller flat blade screwdriver works better than a brake spoon, and a straight pick will work well to push the lever back off the star wheel. If need be, you can bend the lines enough to get them out of your way as long as you're gentle about it.

Old 07-27-04, 09:15 AM
rob
Hey pmgheritage -I like the idea of using a straight pick. I haven't had this wheel open in so long though, I don't remember where to poke. In reference to the star adjuster, where would you say is the right place to contact the adjuster? Above or below, etc.? Maybe it's too hard to describe.

Thanks

Old 07-27-04, 01:58 PM
Actually, it won't be too hard to describe, but now you'll have to help me remember - is the slot in the backing plate in front of or behind the centerline of the axle?

Old 07-28-04, 09:04 PM
rob
in front of the center line

The slot is forward of the axle, to the front of the car.

When you say straight pick, do you mean like an ice pick?

Thanks a lot!

Old 07-29-04, 02:28 PM
I guess an icepick would work, I was thinking of a standard pick set though. A small techdriver would work too. Forward of the starwheel and above the body of the adjuster should get it.

Old 07-30-04, 06:12 AM
make a tool

Buy a cheap screwdriver and put it in a vise to put a bend in it.If you need to you can grind it down to fit.Do not waste a good screw driver like a snap-0n just a wallmart bargin bin one.