Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

99 Tahoe brakes pull

07-25-04, 11:38 AM   #1  
99 Tahoe brakes pull

When driving in town and the brakes are applied the tahoe pulls pretty bad to one side. If you pump the brakes it doesn't seem to be as noticable. What might the problem be? I have changed the pads, which did need it and the brake fluid is at normal levels. Could the problem be bad calipers or warped rotors. Please help if you can. Thank you.

Sponsored Links

07-25-04, 12:19 PM   #2  
If you don't have a pulsation you can probably rule out the rotors being the cause.The brake hoses come to mind as if someone did pads and dropped a caliper and it hung from the hose an internal collapse at a later time could occur.Calipers are possible also.How many miles on the truck?Worn ball joints can cause a pull by shifting caster.

07-25-04, 01:38 PM   #3  
thanks davo

I just pulled the tires and the passenger side rotor is slightly egg-shaped. I tried to measure the wobble and would estimate the difference at 1/8 inch. I suspect the rotor to be the cause. I don't notice the pulsation you are referring to. The man at the parts house said it is most likely the rotor causing the pull. I have always changed the pads and have never dropped one or pinched the line to cause a collapse. What would a bad caliper act like. After hearing the above do you still rule out the rotor. Thanks again for any advice given.

07-25-04, 02:48 PM   #4  
Posted By: bmaddox I just pulled the tires and the passenger side rotor is slightly egg-shaped. I tried to measure the wobble and would estimate the difference at 1/8 inch. I suspect the rotor to be the cause. I don't notice the pulsation you are referring to. The man at the parts house said it is most likely the rotor causing the pull. I have always changed the pads and have never dropped one or pinched the line to cause a collapse. What would a bad caliper act like. After hearing the above do you still rule out the rotor. Thanks again for any advice given.
Sorry, but both you and the parts guy are wrong. That rotor is neither 1/8 inch out or the cause of your pull. Like Davo said, your need to chage both the calipers and the hoses and your problem will be gone. You may not need the hoses, but it's not worth the risk for the price.
No pulsation....no rotor problem.

07-25-04, 04:30 PM   #5  
Ok, I will try the calipers and hoses, but the mis-shapen rotor is a concern. It is most definitely out of round, I can put a stationary object(screwdriver) on the outer edge and slowly turn the rotor and there is a noticeable out of roundness to it. This is where I came up with the 1/8 in. estimate. Is this normal or should I change it also.

07-25-04, 05:12 PM   #6  
Posted By: bmaddox It is most definitely out of round, I can put a stationary object(screwdriver) on the outer edge and slowly turn the rotor and there is a noticeable out of roundness to it. This is where I came up with the 1/8 in. estimate. Is this normal or should I change it also.
From this description and the previous "eggshaped" comment, I'm guessing you're 'measuring' the radial runout - perpendicular to the axle centerline. This will not cause you any problems, unless it's to the point of contacting the caliper. Axial runout - parallel to the axle centerline across the friction face of the rotor is where you get the pulsation and possible pulls. 1/8 in. of runout would cause a pulsation bad enough to shake the wheels off that truck, literally. I'd start with the hoses and proceed from there.

07-25-04, 05:24 PM   #7  
Posted By: bmaddox It is most definitely out of round, I can put a stationary object(screwdriver) on the outer edge and slowly turn the rotor and there is a noticeable out of roundness to it. This is where I came up with the 1/8 in. estimate. Is this normal or should I change it also.
It is simply impossible to have that much runout in that rotor. If you had even a quarter of that amount, it would be extremely noticable when applying the brakes. Are you feeling any heat coming off either wheel after driving it. I will admit though, if you continue to drive with a bad caliper, you will overheat and warp those rotors. Go ahead and change them if you feel more comfortable. It won't hurt.

07-25-04, 06:01 PM   #8  
thanks a bunch guys, you have been very helpful. I have already changed the passenger rotor and have noticed a huge improvement. Although there is still a slight pull to the left. I will change both calipers/hoses tomorrow and will post the results to that. Thanks again for the info.

Search this Thread