1992 Honda Accord Leaking (pouring) Oil

Old 07-25-04, 02:08 PM
kianje
Visiting Guest
1992 Honda Accord Leaking (pouring) Oil

I had my oil changed 7 days ago and today my oil light came on. I stopped and checked the oil which was 2 quarts low (car never used any oil) and in looking under the car, it was evident there was a massive leak. I got a quart of oil and put it in and drove 3 miles home. They had mentioned that I had a gasket leak but I thought they meant a valve cover and not an oil pan. My first inclination was the oil filter may be loose but I checked and it was not. I started the car and there was a stream of oil the size of a number 2 pencil lead pumping out fron the crankshaft/ oil pan area (not really sure which) at the side where the pulleys are. You could literally hear the oil pump suck the oil because I had it jacked up on one side.

Could this be an oil pan gasket, a main gasket or a main bearing leaking?
Also what kind of money am I looking at to repair this? Too, this car has 152K miles on it so should I go ahead and have the timing belt changed? How much should this add?

One more thing. How much shop time am I looking at? Thanks guys. I know a little but I knew to come to the experts.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-04, 02:53 PM
You need to examine this a little closer. Although the oil pan can leak, it is not a pressure point and cannot squirt oil. If this seemed to happen at the same time as the oil change, I'd remove the filter and see if the old gasket is stuck underneath there. That's very common. Another point that can leak that fast is the oil pressure sender. That's also a pressure point. The oil pan would have to have a hole big enoug to put your finger in to leak that fast.

Old 07-25-04, 03:18 PM
kianje
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. I know it is not the oil filter because that area is dry. Also I have driven the car over 300 miles since the oil change and I don't think I could drive it 10 miles now without it running completely out of oil. It is definitely squirting from the crankshaft area on the pulley end. It is not just a leak but definitely has pressure behind it.

Where is the oil pressure sender located?

Thanks again.

Old 07-25-04, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by kianje
Where is the oil pressure sender located?

Thanks again.
It's screwed into the side of the block with a wire attached. If your right about where that oil is coming from, then you have saturated your timing belt also and it's going to stop running very soon if not taken care of. It still doesn't sound logical though. Even a torn crankshaft seal would be hard pressed to leak that fast.

Old 07-26-04, 09:27 AM
I've seen a car leak just as fast as you describe from an oil pan gasket. Wouldnt have believed it unless I saw it. And, it started to leak two days after an oil change. First thoughts were double gasket on the filter. Boy was I surprised to see the pan gasket was completely out for about 3 inches along the crank side. Still dont know if the fresh oil had something to do with it finally failing. But I would definitly doublecheck the pan gasket around the crank area. See if it is kicked in or out. I know that this area isnt 'under pressure', but the oil coming out looked like it was.

Old 07-26-04, 04:16 PM
Johnc280
Visiting Guest
It is most likely your balance shaft seal. These year Honda's have a very common problem with the entire seal just popping out. Because it is located behind the timing cover the oil will actually come out under the crank pulley in a stream such as you have described. There is actually a TSB on this problem and you can get a bracket from the dealer that slips in behind the timing cover to hold the seal in place. But since yours has already come out you will have to pull the timing cover off, remove the balance shaft belt and gear and put in a new seal. Make sure you put the bracket on to keep this from happening again. Might as well replace the timing belt and check the water pump for any evidence of leakage while you have it apart.

Good luck,

Johnny

Old 07-28-04, 04:17 PM
EARLS
Visiting Guest
leaking honda

The Oil Filter Screws On To An Oil Cooler Adaptor, The O Ring Behind The Cooler Is The Problem, Remove The Filter , And With A Rather Large Socket Unscrew The Filter Stud To Replace O Ring.

Old 07-28-04, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by EARLS
The Oil Filter Screws On To An Oil Cooler Adaptor, The O Ring Behind The Cooler Is The Problem, Remove The Filter , And With A Rather Large Socket Unscrew The Filter Stud To Replace O Ring.
I guess you didn't read the part where he said the leak was no where near the oil filter.........