Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1977 Dodge Pickup Carb or Fuel Pump

TN

07-25-04, 08:56 PM   #1  
1977 Dodge Pickup Carb or Fuel Pump

Ive got a 1977 Dodge Pickup 318 motor automatic . Its always been diffcult to start but once the motor has warmed up it always restarts easily. This is my problem after driving and the motor is warmed up when I turn it off and go back to restart it will start fine run for about 5 seconds and die then it will not start again unless I spray it with starting fluid and then will only start for a second. I kept fooling with it spraying it with starting fluid and moving the choke and finally got it restarted and drove it but the same thing happens again when I turn it off. Its seems to me that it is not getting fuel because the starting fluid will start it until it burns up. I would think it was the fuel pump but I have driven it without problems until I turn the motor off. I have changed the inline gas filter and it did not help. Do you think this is a carb problem or a fuel pump on the blink? I would think it might be the carb but I cleaned it and it seems to run fine once it has started. Thanks for any advise or anything I can try to figure out what is wrong with it.

Sponsored Links

07-26-04, 05:55 AM   #2  
I think you need to take a look at the accelerator pump in the carb. I think it's time for a carb rebuild.

Search this Thread