94 Cougar - slipping automatic transmission

Old 07-28-04, 07:53 AM
clebird
Visiting Guest
94 Cougar - slipping automatic transmission

I have a 4.6L with 42K miles. Yesterday morning I drove 65 miles to an nearby town and came back mid afternoon. About 20 miles from home the transmission slipped and the tach reved up a couple K rpm, then in a second or so it reingaged. This happened between 65-70 mph and occurred four times. I dropped down to 55-60 mph and made it back home without any more "events." The fluid is pink, but slightly too full (I checked it in park w/ engine idling on level ground). Is that the problem, too much fluid? Is it just the heat (over 90 yesterday afternoon)? Should I put in new fluid and filter? Maybe something internal?
Thanks for any input or ideas.

Old 07-28-04, 02:50 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Overfilled fluid can cause problems depends on how overfull.At this point you have nothing to lose by changing the fluid and filter except a couple bucks.It may not hurt to see if any trans codes are stored in the computer but I'm not sure if Ford used a fully electronic trans in your car so ask the tranny shop you get to read the codes before you bother driving there.If there is an electrical problem a code may help diagnose the problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: