Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

96 Grand Am

Visiting Guest

07-28-04, 04:40 PM   #1  
par58
96 Grand Am

I just bought my DD(Darling Daughter) her first car, it is a 1996 Grand AM SE 4 cyl. Automatic trans. Looks great and seems to run really well. The problem is when the fuel gage goes below 1/4 tank the car wont start. I can get some gas and put it in the tank and it cranks up just fine. What could be the cause of this.
Thanks Pat :
PS How do you get the drivers side door panel off? sorry for the other question but i just needed to know. :

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-29-04, 04:06 PM   #2  
par58
Posted By: par58 I just bought my DD(Darling Daughter) her first car, it is a 1996 Grand AM SE 4 cyl. Automatic trans. Looks great and seems to run really well. The problem is when the fuel gage goes below 1/4 tank the car wont start. I can get some gas and put it in the tank and it cranks up just fine. What could be the cause of this.
Thanks Pat :
PS How do you get the drivers side door panel off? sorry for the other question but i just needed to know. :
Sombody at least view the post

07-29-04, 04:19 PM   #3  
Well for starters the gas guage is off not reading properly and since it has been run dry numerous times replace the pump,filter sock and fuel filter at the same time.On the door there are screws to remove hidden behind covers(look and you will find them) after that the panel basically pulls off with the help of a door panel tool.What kind of door problem you having?

NC

07-29-04, 04:31 PM   #4  
There could be something wrong with the fuel level sending unit or the float.

Visiting Guest

07-29-04, 04:56 PM   #5  
par58
Posted By: jeff67 There could be something wrong with the fuel level sending unit or the float.
If the float was messed up wouldnt the gauge be wrong but the car still run?

Visiting Guest

07-29-04, 05:00 PM   #6  
par58
Posted By: davo Well for starters the gas guage is off not reading properly and since it has been run dry numerous times replace the pump,filter sock and fuel filter at the same time.On the door there are screws to remove hidden behind covers(look and you will find them) after that the panel basically pulls off with the help of a door panel tool.What kind of door problem you having?
Its just not on secure, i think some clips need to be replaced.

NC

07-29-04, 06:55 PM   #7  
Posted By: par58 If the float was messed up wouldnt the gauge be wrong but the car still run?
It might be sending the signal to the gauge that there is 1/4 tank of gas left when there is actually no gas in the tank or when the gauge reads 1/2 tank, there is actually 1/4 tank.

When you get to 1/4 tank level on the gauge fill the tank up with gas and take note of how many gallons you had to pump to fill it up. If it is close to the fuel tank capacity, as stated in the owners manual, then you know you have a problem somewhere with the fuel level sending unit/float to gas gauge circuit.

Also, add some fuel injector cleaner to the gas (if you have fuel injection).

Visiting Guest

07-29-04, 07:00 PM   #8  
par58
Posted By: jeff67 It might be sending the signal to the gauge that there is 1/4 tank of gas left when there is actually no gas in the tank or when the gauge reads 1/2 tank, there is actually 1/4 tank.

When you get to 1/4 tank level on the gauge fill the tank up with gas and take note of how many gallons you had to pump to fill it up. If it is close to the fuel tank capacity, as stated in the owners manual, then you know you have a problem somewhere with the fuel level sending unit/float to gas gauge circuit.

Also, add some fuel injector cleaner to the gas (if you have fuel injection).
Thanks I will try that

07-30-04, 03:04 PM   #9  
I'm sorry I meant replace the fuel pump while you are replacing the fuel level sender.If it's been run bone dry several times it's life span is going to be short.It's up to you if you want to drop the gas tank twice.If the door is loose you need to remove it to replace the clips.

Search this Thread