help getting in to trunk

Old 07-25-04, 07:04 PM
totally clueles
Visiting Guest
Exclamation help getting in to trunk

I need help getting in to the trunk of a 1992 Mercury Topaz GS. We never had a key for the trunk (which is different than the ignition key), and always opened the trunk with the button in the car, but now the button has quit working. Does anyone have any ideas (other than breaking out the lock or calling a locksmith) as to how I could get in the trunk?
Thanks!!

Last edited by totally clueles; 07-25-04 at 07:18 PM. Reason: forgot to allow email notification
Old 07-26-04, 03:42 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You may be able to access it through the back seat but it will take an extremely long, small tip screwdriver.

Old 07-26-04, 05:58 PM
totally clueles
Visiting Guest
Supposing I can obtain an extremely long small tip screwdriver, then what? To my knowledge the backseat does not come out (otherwise I would just remove it and go through and open the trunk).
Do I poke the screwdriver through some where on the seat and if I can manage that then what am I trying to do with it? As my name says, I am totally clueless.
Thanks!

Old 07-26-04, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by totally clueles
Do I poke the screwdriver through some where on the seat and if I can manage that then what am I trying to do with it? As my name says, I am totally clueless.
Thanks!
No no no don't be poking any holes in the seat. The back seat is removable somehow. They all differ. Some fold down and some you remove the bottom cushion first and the the back cushion. The goal here is to reach all the way through the trunk to the latch area. There will be a slot with a little metal bar sitting in it. You want to get your screwdriver into that slot alongside the bar and turn to unlock.

Old 07-26-04, 07:07 PM
totally clueles
Visiting Guest
Smile

Gotcha. I will give it a go. Thanks so very much for your help.

Old 07-27-04, 07:40 PM
totally clueles
Visiting Guest
bypass switch

Can't find a long enough screwdriver to reach!
Is there a way to bypass the trunk release button in the glove compartment by jumping it somehow to open the trunk? I can't afford to take this in to the shop right now so I need a DIY answer.
I am so very grateful for your help.

Old 07-28-04, 03:26 AM
Originally Posted by totally clueles
Can't find a long enough screwdriver to reach!
Is there a way to bypass the trunk release button in the glove compartment by jumping it somehow to open the trunk? I can't afford to take this in to the shop right now so I need a DIY answer.
I am so very grateful for your help.
Jumping the button would only be an option if the button is defective itself. It won't help if the problem is elsewhere. Your only real option is to make a tool long enough to access the latch through the back seat. All other options involve major body damage......lol

Old 07-28-04, 05:32 AM
Talking Long screwdriver

Why don't you tape or clamp a rod of some kind to the screwdriver (wood or metal) good enough so it will not twist while you are turning it.

AZB

Old 07-29-04, 07:56 PM
totally clueles
Visiting Guest
A big, big thanks to you both for your help. I am hoping to make an attempt at this over the weekend. Wish me luck.

Old 07-31-04, 04:13 AM
N
Did you check the fuse for the trunk release switch? After you access the trunk. Go to your local salvage yard, and get a different lock, and KEY. Guys at the salvage yard will be glad to help you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: