Help! I've got something from Amityville in my auto!

Old 07-29-04, 03:49 AM
vegaswilly
Visiting Guest
Help! I've got something from Amityville in my auto!

I have a 89 Toy P.U. Extra Cab. Have had it since it's birth. It is doing very funny things these days. It doesn't spew out any ectoplasmic goo, BUT it just plain has a mind of it's own when starting anymore. I've put in a new starter, battery and new cables....and still the ghost lingers and starts up whenever it feels like it (which is about 1/2 the time). Some clues of diagnosis: It won't start with a cables jump, but will bump start everytime. Also, 90% of the time this happens when the engine is hot but cooled down for 5 min's. or so, BUT occaisionally my little poltergeist likes to play with me and refuses to let the engine start when it's stone cold too!

My guess is possibly isolating that spirit down to the ignition switch because that is the only thing left I haven't replaced. Anyone have any clues or suggestions? Otherwise I am probably going to have to shoot it with my proton particle gun as I am at my wits end here!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-04, 04:47 AM
Group Moderator
When it's a no-start does it crank but not fire or just not crank at all?

Old 07-29-04, 02:15 PM
Ignition switch or clutch safety switch. That is where I would be looking.

Old 07-30-04, 04:09 AM
vegaswilly
Visiting Guest
OK. That helps!

Thanks Tow_Guy and Davo. Tow_Guy: It does not crank. All lights go on including radio, just no crank. Damn thing did it again to me today 2 of 5 starts. I have to strategically park these days to get the best downhill roll and that's not easy in the Las Vegas valley which is flat as a pancake!

Old 07-31-04, 03:59 AM
I'm going to bet on the fuseable link. Had a similar problem w/a Dodge Power Ram. When the engine is cold, the link is cold, and works fine. When things get hot then the link refuses to send current. No current, engines dead in the water, or dead in Las Vegas as the case may be.