Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

94 Blazer idles errattic

VT

07-30-04, 03:52 AM   #1  
94 Blazer idles errattic

Have a 1994 Chevy Blazer S-10 that idles errattically. Also when I try to stop it litterally will not stop. Brakes work fine, but is dumping so much fuel that it just keeps going forward. At some time, someone disconnscted the 4 wheel drive, because the brakes kept locking up. Any ideas anyone?

Sponsored Links

07-30-04, 12:28 PM   #2  
I would suspect that it's not fuel that's messing you up, but rather an air leak is most likely the cause. A bad vacuum would not only give you a high, erratic idle but the low vacuum supply to the brake booster could explain your brake problems. What you need to do is first thoroughly clean the throttle body and IAC motor. Then look very hard for a vacuum leak somewhere. You could start by taking a vacuum reading to see just where you stand. You should have at least 16-17in of vacuum at idle.

07-30-04, 01:58 PM   #3  
I'll place my bet on a chunk of carbon stuck in the egr valve.

VT

07-31-04, 12:56 PM   #4  
Posted By: davo I'll place my bet on a chunk of carbon stuck in the egr valve.
you took the right bet. Now what would be be causing the carbon? I put a fuel additive in the fuel tank to clean the injectors.

07-31-04, 03:48 PM   #5  
Go to an auto parts store and ask for a problem solver egr gasket it is a tomco part #.If you really need to know the part # I can find it for you.The carbon is from fuel quality and I don't mean low octane fuel.Premium fuel will cause more carbon buildup because it burns slower.You can't eliminate carbon buildup in newer engines it is because of newer emission standards causing manufacturers to run leaner air fuel ratios.Leaner burn more left over carbon atoms.

VT

07-31-04, 04:38 PM   #6  
Posted By: davo Go to an auto parts store and ask for a problem solver egr gasket it is a tomco part #.If you really need to know the part # I can find it for you.The carbon is from fuel quality and I don't mean low octane fuel.Premium fuel will cause more carbon buildup because it burns slower.You can't eliminate carbon buildup in newer engines it is because of newer emission standards causing manufacturers to run leaner air fuel ratios.Leaner burn more left over carbon atoms.
Thanks man. It's not my rig, so you've been a big help. Lady says the SUV hasn't run this good since she bought it. Oh ,and by the way, I told her who gave me the knowlegde to fix it. Thanks again.
Steve

Search this Thread