Ford 2.3 Liter Turbo in Topaz?

Old 07-30-04, 10:57 PM
64Saratoga
Visiting Guest
Ford 2.3 Liter Turbo in Topaz?

Hi, I have a 1991 Mercury Topaz, 2.3L Auto. I have access to free parts off of a Thunderbird Turbo Coupe, and I've been thinking about putting the turbo on my motor. I'm assuming that I'll have to change the intake manifold as well, but I'm wondering what else would have to be done. Will I have to change my computer? How big of a job would this be? Alternatively, I discovered a product called the Turbonator that's supposed to creat an air vortex just inside of the air intake. It claims an increase of "up to 30 HP" which probably means 10-15 in reality. Is there any merit to these at all? Anyone heard of them? Probably a bunch of stupid questions, but these newer, fuel injected cars

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-04, 05:39 AM
lorax123
Visiting Guest
Hey 64Saratoga. Unfortunately the 2.3 HSC motor in the Topaz is completely different than the 2.3 Turbo motor in the T-bird. The only thing that is the same is the displacement. And the 2.3 Turbo was never used in a front drive application, so switching motors is out of the question also. The 2.3 Turbo is a pretty decent motor from what I heard, if you are looking for something quicker, just fix the T-bird if that is possible.
That Vortex thing you talked about, save your money. I heard comments about it, and it doesn't do diddly.

Old 07-31-04, 09:26 AM
64Saratoga
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info, Lorax. I had guessed that htat Votrex thing was useless, it seems like an ineffective place to increase air-flow. Basically, I'm looking for cheap ideas to increase the resale the value of the car (need the money for my Saratoga.) I'm going to do the bodywork and prime it, and I've found a set of coil-over-shocks for fairly cheap, but if any of you have any other inexpensive ideas, especially for performance, your input would be a real asset!