Can you interperet these A/C readings...

Old 07-31-04, 09:44 AM
Can you interperet these A/C readings...

97 Explorer 4.0 2WD Auto.

-AC would not cool yesterday but last time used car (3 days before) worked ok.
-Outside temp here is about 86 - 87 degrees
-Low & High side reading both 0. Assumed leak and put in one can 134a to get compressor going and see if can find leak.
-Now, the compressor comes on for approx 3 sec and off for 5-6 seconds.
-When compressor kicks off low side rises to 65-70 and high side falls to about 135-140.
-When compressor kicks in low side falls quickly until compressor kicks back off and low side rises back up steadily until compressor kicks back in. When compressor is on high side rises to about 150 or so.
-Movement of needles are very steady up or down and not jerking or vibrating while moving.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-04, 12:29 PM
That fast cycling is just because there is very little refrigerant in the system. Your problem is just a leak and it must be a big one to be reading 0 from working 3 days earlier.

Old 07-31-04, 05:13 PM
I think I have found the leak. The dryer on this vehicle has something wrapped around it and when I peeled it back it is very badly rusted. I mean it looks in bad shape. I can see where it has an oily substance leaked into it.

Old 08-01-04, 03:34 AM
Very good detective work. That is something that happens to Explorers frequently. Make sure some oil is added to the system when it's repaired.

Old 08-01-04, 09:29 AM
I picked up an accumulator, orafice tube, 2oz pag oil & the fittings to disconnet the a/c lines. I had planned on putting this on myself and taking to a shop to pull vacuum and add refrigerant. He would charge $35 if I supply refrigerant. However the guy at the parts counter said I can pull my own vacuum using the compressor in my 97 Explorer by opening the high side fitting and starting the a/c system. According to him it will blow air briefly the start sucking at which point I would place the high side hose on and start adding my 134a.

Does this sound right? I'm for doing anything I can for myself if I feel I can do it right. Will this work?

Old 08-01-04, 10:14 AM
The guy at the parts counter is an,well lets say it rhymes with glass.To properly vacuum a system you should pull a vacuum for 30 minutes or more to remove moisture from the system.The vacuum causes water(liquid)in the system to turn to steam(vapor)so it exits the system through the vacuum pump outlet.Pay the 35 bucks or rent a vacuum pump.

Old 08-01-04, 10:36 AM
Davo was being nice. That guy's an idiot!

Old 08-01-04, 11:37 AM
Thanks guys... I had a feeling that didn't sound just right.
I have the dryer on and will take it to shop tomorrow.
Dennis

Old 08-03-04, 04:09 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for the help. The shop pulled vacuum and added coolant and it is doing great.
Again thanks for the help.